"Oh nothing. I don't want to tell you", she said.
"What?", I said.
"You'll just be mad", she giggled.
She knows how to push my buttons.
"Kindra. I don't know if I'll be mad because I don't know what it is....SO TELL ME...NOW!"
"Mom. Christy told me that she doesn't like me and we can't be friends anymore because I wear glasses so I took them off. It's OK. I can still see when I squint", she whispered.
"Are you serious, Kin? Whatever. You're goooorgeous with or without your glasses and are you REALLY going to let someone like that determine what you'll do. That is so mean. Are you mean like that to other kids?"
"No...but Mom...I don't really care that much but it did make me feel kind of sad", she said.
"I'm so sorry Kin but be sad for her because she is going to miss out on being friends with the funnest (I know it's not a word but it sounds better when talking to a 6 yr old) girl ever!!!", I said trying to be as nonchalant as ever. You know. The idea of the less you make of it the better. That was all that was said until we were getting ready for bed.
"You know that you're really beautiful don't you? I know that you care what kids at school think but don't. Really. Don't let them determine who you'll turn out to be. It seems huge right now but you'll look back and laugh. See my elbows? When I was 10, a boy told me that they were ugly and that they looked like someone had broken them. I was devastated and started only wearing long-sleeve shirts because I believed his stupidity. I carried this insecurity even into High school. I look back now and want to punch Mike Black in the face...in the privates!"
She laughed at me.
"Mom. hehehe. Goodnight. I love you best friend and my white blanky loves you too."
I'm sure that this won't be the last time that we'll have to deal with this issue but for now I think that we've got it handled but still. If I can teach my kids anything...the one thing that I want it to be is that they are "those kids who are just nice. Nice to EVERYONE and that they are liked by everyone because of it". Oh Kin. Stay strong. Remember that I love you...with or without your glasses!



















10 comments:
You are so grown up KT! It makes me smile! I can't wait to have kids :)
She IS beautiful. You are raising her right!
I think someone should add Girls to the endangered species list. From the time they are old enough to actively engage in the outside world, everything they see and hear around them tells them to be something different from what they are. I felt it, you felt it, my daughter feels it (you know the story) and I don't know if I'm more mad that it happens or that I know it can't be changed. I suppose the antidote to all this is mothers. Mothers who keep telling their daughters they're more than enough, every day and year, until those daughters grow up and believe it themselves. Personally, I don't know that I have hit that milestone yet myself, but having three daughters sure pushes me to get there faster.
You are more than enough times 100. So is Kinny. Bless her heart.
Poor Kindra! Kids can be so mean and for lack of a better word...stupid!! You have such a sweet daughter Katie and you are such a great mom. Both your kids are blessed to have you in their lives!
Love that last picture, you both look beautiful!!
You are the best/funniest mom ever. Kindra is lucky to have you.
I really like your blog! You seem like such a GREAT mom who has overcome your own obstacles in your life!
Ohhhhh...once again i LOVED your post. I have had so the similiar instances happen with Ashton. It really has been hard to know how to deal with it. But i have ALSO come to the conclusion that you just have to tell them to be the the nice one and friends with everyone and hopefully that will stick and they will be like b/c of that. Seriously, kids are SO mean and school is so so so so hard. It seriously gives me a pit in my stomach to think of all the things my kids have to sustain in school and i guess in life in general... I know it is just life, but it still sucks.
Seriously, Kindra is adorable and she REALLY is so beautiful. You are a great mom too...
Such a great post yet again! She is a VERY BLESSED little girl to have such an AMAZING mom!!
She is a beautiful girl and you a such a good mom. I feel like I have had a million of these conversations. My oldest has been told by 3 or 4 kids that one of her calves is bigger than the other. She is now so worried about wearing shorts and doesn't want to show her legs....they are BEAUTIFUL legs. It makes me so mad.
Hey KT-
Do you know how i put a large photo at the top of my blog?
thanks!
Post a Comment