
I completely get it.
August of 2002 was the date of my "funeral". Not in the negative, my life is over sense but more in the sense of a new adventure had just been given to me. Having been an athlete my whole life, both in High School and at a University level, the word "paralyzed" was not one that I could even comprehend. But here it was. My new life had just begun. I was at a crossroads. I could either be the bitter, angry, pissed off person or hit this challenge head on. My athletic mentality kicked in and I was determined that this was not going to determine who I would become or what I would do with my life.
As I learned and experienced more, I realized that this thing that most would call a tragedy was instead a blessing. I had a great and fulfilling life then and I would have a great and fulfilling life now! I also began to realize that I could make a difference and help others who were going through similar experiences. Not all who experience hard times are able to bounce back as easily as I was able to but if I could possibly help them to see the light at the end of the tunnel just a little bit sooner, then I would.
We've all heard the saying "Pay It Forward" and we've all been challenged to do so. So once again, I'll challenge you to truly "Pay It Forward". The lessons that you'll learn, the joy that you'll see, the influence you'll have, and the difference that you'll make will only spread the happiness and the love that this world needs. The way you'll feel at the end of the day will become addicting and you'll want to do more. I promise.
A few months ago, a young woman was in my state visiting her sister. She is from a small town outside of Mexico City and she was here looking at University options. A group of Young Adults were playing a game similar to "The Hunger Games" and while she was climbing/hiding in a tree, the branch broke and she fell, breaking her back, leaving her paralyzed at T12. I saw her story on the news and knew that I wanted to do something to help. She is from another county. No insurance. Rehab was an issue. A wheelchair was an issue. A solid support group was an issue. I wanted to give her that feeling of hope and knowledge that her life was NOT over and that there were those, perfect strangers, who were rooting for her to endure!
We met, I shared with her my story, I encouraged her, and at the end her tears had changed to a smile. Those are the moments that help make it all worth it. But my personal challenge was not over. I wanted to help her in the ways that I could, raise money for her rehab or more importantly, find her a wheelchair.
Little by little, the dollars came in and the wheelchair was found. Let's be honest. Most people want to help but they're not sure of where to go. I truly believe that in instances where we can make a difference, that it's our duty to help, to educate, to let people know of how they can help.
Here are the links of the stories that was written about the experience---
HERE
It was awesome to see it all come together. To achieve our goal. To help her realize that there is help and that she can endure this hard time. Now was it all me? NO. It was many individuals and companies who came together as one to make a difference. Can we help everyone? NO. But can we try? YES. And can we help some? YES.
There is a quote that I absolutely LOVE by Marian Wright Edelman. In it she said...
"We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee."
So again, I'll throw out the challenge. PAY IT FORWARD. Whether it's in a HUGE or a SMALL way, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you made the attempt. And I promise you that it WILL make a HUGE or a SMALL difference to someone somewhere!



















1 comment:
Wow, you have completely inspired me! I am grateful for your good example:)
Post a Comment