Sunday, July 5, 2009

Carter's Baptism...

On June 06, 2009 Carter was baptized a member of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints. It was something that he had been excited to do for a long time. We took him out for breakfast that morning and talked about some of the things that he would need to remember.
I was very safe in the ways that I talked to Carter about baptism because I wanted to make sure that it was something that he chose for himself to do. In a way that is easy for a 7 yr old to understand, I explained that when you become a member, you commit to living a life that is a certain way. I told him that it was his choice and no matter what he decided, that we would always love him. I told him to pray about it all of the time and to let me know the types of feelings that he received.
He did and knew that getting baptized was something that he really wanted and needed to do. The day of his baptism, I woke up and instantly had a panic attack. How did I have an 8 yr old? How did I have a child who was getting baptized? I remember the day when I did the same thing and how, as a parent, am I that old?!?


Carter with my Grandma Sainsbury who Carter asked to play the piano...



Trevor, Grandpa & Grandma Corbridge, and Carter
Carter has always worn a polo or a blue button down shirt to church so he was very excited to own and wear his first white shirt! :)
Uncle Michael gave a short talk on Baptism...


Aunt Jenny also gave a short talk
One of the hugest issues that Trevor and I had when we divorced was our difference in religious beliefs. After my accident, my spiritual faith was something that kept me together with trust and hope while Trevor became very hurt, angry, and let down. It was very hard to remain close when we were so very far apart.

As the years went on, I continually reminded Trevor that Carter would soon be 8 and that he would want his father to perform the ordinance. Since Trevor was no longer active and tried to act like he did not care, I knew that later on he would regret his decision. But honestly I gave up and planned on having one of my brothers do it.

I was shocked when out of the blue Trevor asked if he could start attending church services with us again. Of course! Little by little and all on his own, Trevor's desire to learn came back and he made the changes necessary so that he would be able to baptize Carter.

I was so happy and proud of Carter on the day of his baptism but more so of Trevor that he had done what he had needed to do so that he could have this special day with Carter. Carter was beaming the whole day! The best thing happened as he came up out of the water right after the baptism. All of the cousins were watching with excitement and just giggled and laughed out loud at what had just happened. Is that not how we should all act when we see or feel something that is so spiritual take place? Giggle, smile, and beam with happiness because we are so excited at what has just happened! It was an awesome experience! I am so proud that Carter made this wonderful choice to ensure that the Lord will always have a watchful eye on Carter and know the blessings that he will need throughout his life!

We love you Carter!!!

8 comments:

Ali said...

That is awesome! Congratulations Carter on your baptism!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Congrats Carter. What a neat day and great story too. So glad those changes were made too, it's so special to have your own dad perform the baptism!!

steph said...

How wonderful! I love baptisms. Way to go Carter!

Jamie said...

That is so wonderful - for all of you. Thanks for sharing!

Michael Alfano said...

Hello Katie,

Big congrats on the baptism. I’ve recently found your blog and am very impressed by the way you’ve appeared to move forward from your accident. Do you discuss anywhere in your blog how your accident occurred? I’m only asking because my lovely wife was in an accident http://nic.fisherphotography.com/in late 2007 and we’ve had to deal with the known/unknown challenges ever since.

You can email me at alfanomichael@gmail.com

All the best,
Michael

Karin Austin said...

Katie Terry,
You HAVE to CALL ME! ASAP!!!!!

Tell Carter that we are very excited he got baptised, what a special day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Blaisdell Family said...

Dear "anonymous",

If you feel so strong with your thoughts that you need to write a comment in such a rude way, then why aren't you brave enough to put down your name? Is being a coward better than someone you think is fake?

Have you ever heard the phrase, "don't throw stones when you live in a glass house", that would apply to someone like YOU!

If you are a friend of this family and you are writing a comment like this on a family blog then YOU are a fake & a hypocrite. Did your parents ever teach you to think before you act? Grow up!