Thursday, August 27, 2009

"You Little Shit!"

Dear Carter

Do you know how much I love you? Do you know how important you are to me? Do you know that I would do anything, anything, anything to protect you? You are my bubby. I love to hear you sing. I love to count your freckles. I love to tuck you in bed at night. I love to take care of you. I love to listen to you laugh. I love to see you smile. I love taking you to the Lawnmower Doctor. I love being your Mom. I love you Carter and don't you ever forget it. Don't you ever forget that you can tell me and talk to me about anything. I will always protect you and be your biggest advocate and fan.

I love you Carter James...

Love

Mom



Once upon lots of times, I have had to talk to some older boys who migrate to this forest area that is right behind our house. The only thing separating them from my kids is an iron fence. Like all kids do, they all call each other names, say their stupid, go away, shut up, your annoying me, etc. etc.

"You do your thing over there and we'll do our thing over here. Please stop teasing my kids."

I was hoping that the problem would just go away but that was not the case.

One afternoon, I watched out the window as they army crawled across the lawn over to where the trampoline is to tease Carter and to call him a retard. That was it! I was livid and immediately went out to ask them what in the hell they were doing? What was their point?

"Well, he is just bugging us." Yeah. That was all that they could come up with.

A day went by. Trevor had just come over to say hi to the kids. They were doing tricks on the trampoline and I was on the porch. Out from the forest area, one of the kids yelled at Carter to come here. So he jumped off the tramp and ran over to where they were standing, only the fence in between them. In some weird way, Carter thinks that they are his friends so he ran over to see what they wanted.

I hear a pop. I see Carter drop to the ground and hear him cry out, scream out in pain. I yell at Trevor who runs over to Carter. Once he realized what had happened he was over the fence in 1 hop off to chase down the boys.

YES. They lured my son to the fence to shoot him with a bee bee gun!!! YES. Can you believe that? WHO DOES THAT??? Really. WHO DOES THAT???

Carter was OK though I still freak out in my head when I think about what could have happened! Thank goodness Trevor did not catch the boys. The parents were not home. The police were called. Tickets were issued. It's over...kind of. I'm still furious, annoyed, and amazed!
It has prepared me for whats to come. Kids are so mean. SO MEAN and I know that this will not be the only time that I'm going to have to be Carter's advocate. I will do whatever I have to do to protect my son, my kids. I will teach them how it is that we treat others, respect others as well as respect ourselves.

I still get all fired up when I think about this!

The only funny thing that came out of this situation was what Kindra said...."Ohhhh you little shit!!!" (yes. that word is my very, very, very angry word! oops! passing it down to my kids)

Now that's classic!

4 comments:

Parks Family said...

AAUUGGGG! I want to scream! I just can't believe it! You don't mess with my people or my people's people. It makes me want to...! AUGG! I hope you were able to track down the parents. Katie seriously! I'm so sorry. Sorry for you and Carter

Kate Coveny Hood said...

You know that I understand this and fully see many a scene like this in my future... I hope kids like that never ruin Carter's sweet trusting nature - just help teach him who is worthy of his trust and friendship. Much love to all of you!

Charakie said...

That little girl is a chip off the old block! Poor Carter...however, not so much worried about him. With both you and Kindra backing him up he'll be just fine :) What is up with kids these days anyway? I saw a little first grader spit on a car in the "pick-up" lane at the elementary school the other day. What part of that is ok? Little crap! You are a good mom.

Like a Lily said...

KIDS ARE SO MEAN.
UGH.

On the bright side, Kindra is HILARIOUS.