Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Son...


We have a sleep routine at our house. Kind of like a "groundhog day".

~Carter and Kindra fall asleep
~Mom goes to bed late
~Carter wakes up early and goes in to also wake Kindra who then screams "Mooooom! I'm tired! Carter's bugging me!"
~I talk Carter into going back into his room and playing for just a little bit longer and then we'll watch a "Phineas and Ferb".

This happens like clock work. Without a doubt. But this week, twice, Carter did not wake me up. He crept out quickly and quietly to check something out. I got up and noticed that he was not in his room....and the back door was wide open so I looked out and this is what I found.

The first day he heard the landscapers putting in a sprinkler system in the new home that is behind us. He got a cushion off one of the lawn chairs and took it out to the sandbox to use as his chair and just watched them work.

The second day he heard our neighbor, an older man who also likes to get up early, mowing his lawn. I love how Carter just peeked and spied through the fence watching him, so intrigued, taking it all in.


These are the things that I love the most about this boy. When he is so innocent, kind, loving, calm, intrigued, and soft. I know that no matter how hard he can be, that deep down, this is who he really is. That he really wants to do the right thing and have the love and acceptance of his parents.

We were at a performance in which a lady was singing. As soon as she began, he leaned over and said "Oh Mom. Listen to her beautiful voice." I loved it. I love when he is so honest like that. I love that he is learning to appreciate and recognize the beauty that is in this world. I want him to feel educated and knowledgeable, no matter on what level that may be. I want him to feel confident and secure with who he is. I will never let his learning disorder control him or determine what he is to become. I want him to know that I will love him. Unconditionally, no matter what.

I'm going to miss the summer routines that we've gotten use to. I'm going to miss the little adventures that Carter puts me through when school starts, his imagination and the fun!

I love you Carter James!
xoxo

2 comments:

Christy said...

Oh I teared up reading this AND reading your sidebar addition. Katie, I never knew your story...thank you so much for sharing it. You are an incredible person and I REALLY hope you come to Blogher in San Diego next year - Aug 5 and 6 baby. I'll be stuck on you glue!!!

Jodi Gallagher said...

Ahhh Carter is such a great kid. I love when he whispers to me and asks me questions! He is welcome over at our house any time, so is Kindra! I'm excited Alyssa is in her class. Hopefully they become great friends! I'll have to drop the horses over this week to her.