Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Hurricane Sandy Project...

“Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world.”
~~~ Mohandas Gandhi
 
I still can't believe that THIS happened with the severity that it did! No one expected it to become such a HUGE tragedy :(
 
A friend of mine, is on a Triathlon team which organized THIS .  My desire to make a difference kicked into full gear mode and I knew that we could help. When I say we, I mean my friends and those who are here living in Utah. Just because we live 3000+ miles away does not mean that we can't help and send them some aide.  So what did I do? I decided to organize a clothing drive. I've done it before and it's always become a huge success so I knew what I was doing when it came to the "organizing". Uh. Yeah. Uh. No. I was about to be taught and humbled. I must say how lucky that I am to have such GREAT friends who ALWAYS support my "projects" and who LOVE to SERVE just as much as I do! I had no idea what I was about to be in for...and yes I can admit that I got a little overwhelmed.  I'm not being ungrateful but it became a bigger project than I ever expected. Like I said, I love that I know that I can always count on my friends to support and help me 100% and as you'll see from the pictures below, you'll fully understand what I mean! Friends of friends of friends of ..... stepped up and donated. They felt the same way that I did. They wanted to help but had no clue of how to and when they heard about what I was receiving donations for, it made them feel like finally they too, were also making a difference. 
 



 




Let the organizing and separating BEEEEEGIN!...or NOT!? ;)






...and this was only the first batch! There was a lot more than this :) Like I said, I was so thankful and so excited for what we were able to do.  Because we had received such a great response, it would have cost us a fortune to directly send to them all that we had so we separated the winter clothes/coats and sent just those out right to the director. I contacted the Red Cross who had a system all set up so that they could deliver our donations directly. I was worried that all we had done would not get to the proper place/people so it was a relief to find out that there was already a system in motion. 

Even though I was so relieved to have the project come to an end and even though I was so glad to "have" my house back, it was a VERY awesome project to orchestrate! VERY humbling and VERY rewarding! We each have so much to offer and to give if we just make the effort. It doesn't have to be anything huge but little efforts ALWAYS result in something GRAND! 

The Pay it Forward concept, right?!

There is a quote that I absolutely LOVE by Marian Wright Edelman... 

“We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.”

No matter how big or small, I promise that your help WILL make a difference in someone’s life.
Also, take a look at this. It's an AWESOME EXAMPLE OF SERVICE AND GRATITUDE xxx

1 comment:

Jamie said...

You're awesome Katie. I can't believe you organized all of that on your own. You should seriously get a medal. That was no easy task, my friend!!