Friday, January 11, 2013

Remember when I talked about my new obsession with William Marshal? And the new obsession with the writer Elizabeth Chadwick? And also the fact that I've been working hard on my genealogy? (Speaking of. I was down digging in my basement in a closet of unknown boxes that were left by my Grandpa when I moved in. So my curiosity got the best of me so I couldn't help but dig in. Can you say GOLD MINE!!! No really. I found pictures that I had never seen, my Dad had never seen, and pictures of my young, fun, and adventurous Grandma! I was able to feel connected to her in a different way. We were very close when she was still with us, but this was different. I realized that I could relate to her. Anyway, we all have skeletons in our closet because I also found out about a family secret. I am not sure if my Grandpa even knew but I am sure that he did but it was NOT discussed between their sons, my Uncles. My Dad was shocked and I know from a discussion about it, that my Uncles do not know. I even went up to SLC to get the records and the proof to try to understand exactly what had happened. Anyway, we all have something or some issue. But again, I did not feel any sort of judging towards her in any way, in fact, like I said, it made me feel closer and to realize that she and I were more alike that I had understood. A lot of things also began to make a little more sense. Certain actions and things that she would say. Like I said, a wonderful discovery)  OK, back to William Marshal, so the author Elizabeth Chadwick and I are FB friends. She posts the most interesting pictures, facts, stories, and knowledge that are so interesting. There are many other additional friends who are also so fascinating and knowledgeable and I thoroughly enjoy it not to mention that I learn so much!  Anyway, I made a comment about the ancestor that she had written a book about and how wonderful that it had been. That was it...
 
One of my favorite pictures of the day! Hampton Court was my favorite site to visit. We were there all day as there was so much to see and to read about. It was exactly what I expected it to be and I'm sure, that because it involves my favorite historical character, Henry VIII, that only added to my love of Hampton Court. (Though I will say, that I've found a new obsession. My new favorite Historical Fiction Author, Elizabeth Chadwick, who I discussed earlier that wrote the book about my ancestor, has me now hooked on William Marshall, Henry II and his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine who was one of the most powerful woman of the Middle Ages. I suggest finding her books and reading about these figures. They are so interesting and are my absolute favorite!)


And then on Sunday, I received this message...
 

Debra Jacoby

Katie, I saw your comments about Judith of Lens and other ancestors under Elizabeth Chadwick's posts. I too am an ancestor of her's and William Marshal's and a host of other royals as I am sure you are too. I also found Elizabeth's books while researching family member's. I went on Elizabeth's William Marshal tour in October and it was fantastic. I looked up your profile and was excited to see we are both also LDS (and we are cousins), so I just wanted to say Hi!, Debbie Jacoby
 
Katie Terry Corbridge

Debra! Your message just made my day! I am so glad that you messaged me and that you saw my comments on Elizabeth's post! Where do you currently live? I grew up in Toronto, Canada but currently live in SLC, UT. My mothers maiden name is Sainsbury, as in the British store. Do you have an ancestry.com account where you have all of your research? I would love to go on the William Marshal tour. We were just in London for the Paralympics and I can't wait to get back and head south, west, and north. Can't wait for your reply. Oh and HI right back!

Debra Jacoby

I live in West Bend, WI. I have an ancestry account, my user name is DJacoby62, or if you send me your e-mail I will set it that you can view my tree. The William Marshal tour was arranged through a company called ATA Travel (Academic Travel Abroad) out of Washington D.C. I think I was the only person on the tour who knew who William Marshal was before I knew who Elizabeth Chadwick was!
 
Katie Terry Corbridge

Haha that's too funny Really? That would be awesome to view your tree as I'm sure I have made some mistakes. Did you go on the tour because you knew he was an ancestor? Whose line are you from? Obviously one of the daughters. My email is kterry88@gmail.com. So tell me a bit about yourself...

 Debra Jacoby

Yes, I went on the tour because he is my ancestor, but I also love Elizabeth's books. They really make you feel like you're "there". Actually I come through William 8 times so far, through three of his daughters. To say a little about myself, I am 51, I have three children and four grandchildren. My husband and I were both born here in WI, but we left for 25 years (my husband is retired Air Force). We have live in Mississippi, Nebraska, Guam, North Dakota, Belgium, Texas, Minnesota, and back to WI. We both joined the church about 32 years ago, Sister Missionaries. I am a library page for our local library. I am a Master Gardener, so I enjoy gardening, reading, genealogy, and a few other things. What about yourself?
 
Katie Terry Corbridge

My husband and I have 2 children who are 12 and 10 and live in Utah where all of our family now is. I was born in Utah, grew up in Toronto, and after I graduated from high school I attended Southern Virginia University on an athletic scholarship playing soccer for the school. My husband is from Utah so after I graduated, I moved to Utah and got married. I immediately got a job with an advertising agency and worked as a sales and marketing rep up until a few years ago with them. I quit so that I could be home for my kids. When my son was 2, my husband and I were in an auto accident that left me paralyzed from the waist down. Needless to say it was a pretty crazy year of learning how to live again. Having always been an athlete, the words paralyzed and wheelchair, were not in my understanding but because of my trust and faith in the gospel, I knew that it would all work out exactly how it should...and it did! We had our daughter the following year and continued to do all of the things that we wanted to and that made us happy once again. I currently work with a non profit foundation, Heart 2 Home, who remodels homes to make them accessible. My greatest joy is to serve and to be an example. I work as a peer mentor counselor with the Christopher Reeves Foundation as well as Backbones and I love it! Not all are able to bounce back with a positive attitude after a trial or tragedy and if I can help them see that light at the end of the tunnel, THEN I WILL!  I am extremely active still in all sports, love to travel, love to write and blog, and love to read!
 
Katie Terry Corbridge

I wanted to say again how thankful that I am for allowing me to see your family tree. I know that we are both related to Judith of Lens but I don't see where I'd be related to William Marshal. Am I missing something or not looking in the right spot? I don't expect you to drop "your life" and help me out so don't feel like you have to but just maybe when you have the time? Anyway, I hope that you are having a great week

Debra Jacoby

Katie, You and I both have a Gilbert de Clare born in 1243 in our tree. His Grandmother is Isabel Marshal and his great grandfather is William Marshal. You just need to go back on Gilberts line 3 generations.
 
Katie Terry Corbridge

Wow! Thank you so much. Your tree has also helped me with a descendant of Lady Matilda Maud of Huntington so again another thanks!
 

Debra Jacoby

You're so welcome! And we're 'family" right! ;)

Katie Terry Corbridge

Yes. Yes we are! xx


Let's just say that excitement was a complete understatement!!! SO ecstatic!!! It is by far the biggest discovery that I have made, when looking back into my ancestors who are from the UK. Especially with so many books written on him expressing how great of a man that he was. Full of integrity, morals, commitment, honor, and loyalty. I couldn't be more proud to be a descendant of such a great man, such a great family!

It's late so I need to go to bed but I just had to share!

Sincerely,

Cloud Nine and not even close to being finished

PS...William Marshal Tour Here. I. Come. NO LIE
xx
 

2 comments:

Alice said...

Katie, what is that long wheel in front of your wheelchair?

katie said...

keep reading...lol ;)