Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"Pioneer" Pride...

The last time that I was in the Main gym of Lehi High School was on the night of my graduation day. The only thing that was on my mind was showing up, making an appearance, getting out to Cedar Fort, and finding Weston. Honestly...I know.
For weeks I'd been hearing about this Alumni Tournament that they were doing, both from my brother and from my friends. I would just laugh and shake my head, swearing that I could care less. For years, I'd told myself that I was "so over Lehi, all of that, and especially all of the things that the High school represented". Not so much. The closer the tournament came, the closer I knew that I'd give in especially since I knew how much it meant to my brother to show support.

Let me give you some history on what this sport means to the men of LHS. One word...PRIDE.

It has always been a big deal to this once was "small town" to be the State Champs but I didn't know how much until 1993. That was the year when 5 guys-best friends-pals who had nick named themselves "The Fab 5" won the 3A State game. We were all friends so it was HUGE! Tara's husband was actually the 3A MVP. This had been something that had been groomed since these guys were 5. I'm not kidding!

1994 went. 1995 sucked :)

Then came my brothers team. 1996 they won...1997 they won...1998 they won! Yep. They called their team, and still do, "The 3-petes". Again, this was HUGE!

There have been good teams since but for me? The prideful rivalry between the class of 1993 and the class of 1998 was intense. Of course I was going for my brother but still. I jokingly told "The Fab 5" that I wanted them to finally go down but in my heart I was not kidding. :)

Lets not forget that all of these guys are married to one of my friends! Yeah.

I will admit though that it was fun to hear my own old nick name again! It was never Katie or Kate when talking to these guys. It was always "Terry".
O k. I will admit. I got hooked. Every night of that week I had to be to at least 2 games. I loved it! I love watching basketball games and especially games of those who are not pro. They still have the drive...the love...the heart even when they are old, fat, and slow! (not saying that these guys were!?!)
Anyway...unfortunately my bro's team lost so they did not get to the championship game but it did get to 1997 vs 1993. Emily's husband, my friend from high school who has the twin daughters, played on the 1997 team so it was all good that 1993 FINALLY WENT DOWN to them! hehehe JK?!?

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey, we're old enough that we can go back to high school as adults and not feel all the crazy. Good for you - you're such an awesome jock!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

for the record...it was a CRAP call that left '93 losing to '97 with 10 seconds left. still so ticked over that game, sorry to any other lehi fans there who had to listen to the crazy lady yelling at the refs the whole game!! :) katie- good thing we can leave it on the court, right? or we'd be over! hehee