Monday, June 30, 2008

Horse Heaven!

No....this is not some image from "Napoleon Dynamite", though it looks that bad! This is a shirt that Kindra and I found for her to wear to her grand adventure to the Lehi Round-Up Stock parade!
It's no secret that Kindra loves horses so when my friend invited us to come along with them to the stock parade that the city of Lehi puts together, I was more than happy to go along.
I was actually surprised that I had not thought of the idea myself since this was not the first time that I had been to this event. Basically growing up in Lehi, I know how important these few days are. I have many, many, many memories of the infamous "Lehi Round-Up Rodeo"! It was a huge deal and was always filled with some dramatic event! As a teen, it was actually a lot of fun but because my family is not from Lehi and because it is not a historic family event to attend the festivities, the tradition has not lasted.
Chantel is a member of the "Cooper" family who has lived in Lehi since the beginning of Lehi's time...seriously... so when she informed me that her grandparents were the "grand somethings" for the year, I was not surprised. "Hey, why not? Kindra will love it and will go crazy so we're in!" How could I not? I knew that Kindra would be in heaven!
Chantel's daughter was also going to be in the parade riding a horse so it was going to be an even bigger deal for her. "...and guess who's horse she is going to be riding? Tommy Lewis's so you'll see him too and remember...he married Jen Elmer. Emily will be sitting with her family but they'll be across the way...." I began to be flooded with faces and with memories. "This will be fun?!?", I told myself not knowing what to expect!
Kindra was so excited when I told her what she and I were about to do. We parked down at the elementary school so that we could go up to the park and what do ya know...that is where they park all of the horse trailers so we got to see it all!
Kindra was full of questions and was trying to bribe everyone and anyone that she could to be able to pet, to feed, to touch, or to ride a horse and what do ya know...it worked! When Tommy brought the horse up for Aspen to ride, Kindra was right there in his face asking for a quick ride and she got it!
"What's this...and this...and this...and this?" She could not keep her questions in but they were happily answered.
We had a really fun night and I loved thinking back on all of the great times that I had growing up in the "small town" atmosphere. I would never take any of it back...good or bad...it made me "Katie" and I learned a lot. It was also fun to run into people whom I had not seen for a very long time...as scary as I thought it would be...it was not! I like that I got to see how we've all turned out.
Thanks Chan for inviting us! It was way fun and it gave me a great "Mommy Daughter Date" so for that I am indebted :)

4 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

Oh goodness, I bet that was like Heaven on Earth for Kindra that day!!!

And that t-shirt...wow, it did give me a good laugh though because of your comment to go with it!!!

The Miner Trio said...

Katie, I am glad you guys joined us. I love your post, it takes me back too. Kindra is adorable and I am glad she had a good time as well. I wish she could have rode in the parade as well. Maybe by next year, she will have a pony of her own to ride right :-).

Lyssa Beth said...

How fun! I miss all the Utah valley days!! Kindra must have been in heaven!! She's so cute

Anonymous said...

Ok so I found you blog- It is super cute. You and your daughter are welcome to come ride anytime. Tom is used to answering lots of questions, we have two girls. Ot was great to see you again.