Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Own Kind Of Wimbledon


The Utah Tennis Association and T.R.A.I.L.S., the same program who I took my ski lessons from, put together a Wheelchair Tennis Camp last weekend. I had a lot of fun with it because it allowed me to be athletically competitive against someone but mostly because I sweat my ace off which is very rare!

The last time I had played, no I mean the last time that I had tried to play tennis was in the 9th grade when I had gone with my Dad to go hit some balls. Seeing that he had been a tennis star in his day and seeing that the patience was quickly leaving as his balls were quickly doing so as well, that play time was short lived. Needless to say, I had no clue how this was going to all work. I understood how to play "able bodied" tennis but the concept of wheelchair tennis just did not make sense so I was curious to see how it all worked.

I talked Trevor into coming up with the kids so it made for a good Saturday morning activity. They had a chair waiting for me which is very similar to a wheelchair bball chair so that was the first thing that I learned. Second, instead of allowing one bounce, they allow two bounces and third, everything else, all of the rules, are all the same.

The instructors were so nice and even did some work with the kids which Kindra just ate up!
Here they are "walking the dog" as they called it? (I have no clue when it comes to the terminology of tennis!)


...the kids practicing up their techniques...

The best part about having the kids up there was that they were able to get so involved. Kindra really got excited about playing around and Carter was the official ball collector as we were hitting the balls into the other end/side of the court. It was a perfect way to keep them occupied...

We made sure that we understood our balance. That we understood the way that the chair would manoeuvre. We practiced some hitting techniques and finally, our serve. I really got into it and my competitive nature came right out. I wanted to understand it, catch on like that, and to be perfect. I will admit that I can be too hard on myself by having to be a pro right from the start but feel that that is why I am able to succeed. Interesting and something to think about....hmmmmmm.
The last time that I had been over to the park area was literally when I was 6 yrs old right about that same time that the movie "Savannah Smiles" came out. There were some rides, some peddle boats, and some nasty looking animals. It was horrible and actually frightened me because I was worried that I was going to be kidnapped like "Savannah"! Seriously, I'm not kidding!!!

So I was really surprised when I saw the play area for the kids. We were only there for a few minutes but they had fun. They always do when they get to play on "new toys".

Like I have said before...I have to try and do everything. I would go crazy if I didn't. I don't want to ever feel like I am giving in or giving up. NEVER!! Such a fun morning and such a great workout. The next day I woke up sore since I used muscles that I am not used to using. NO COMPLAINTS though...it's that good kind of sore that proves to yourself that you worked really hard and gave it your all. No regrets from that activity! They have weekly court times so that will not be the last time that I am going to go out and play. I had that much fun!

10 comments:

Lyssa Beth said...

OH the girl's so scandelous, Oh I just can't handle it...wha wha..Nice tennis attire! lol But again, you are amazing girlfriend sister! Glad you were able to sweat/..if you want to sweat more, move to TX

Ashlee said...

You are seriously an inspiration. Looks like tons of fun. No idea how to play tennis.

The Blaisdell Family said...

You sexy thing you!!! You even look good playing sports!

I'm with you though, I haven't even tried tennis since about 9th grade. Probably because I'm not that fast at moving (even when I'm in shape) that I've never gotten into tennis. I would like to someday though take it up with Craig and do a couples thing. I like watching tennis...does that count for exercise??:)

Good job Katie, and your positive attitude never fails to amaze me!

Brenda B said...

That is awesome Katie!! Looks like you had a great time. I need to get out and play.
Oh, I loved Savannah Smiles!!!

Anonymous said...

How does it feel to officially be my most active friend?

karey m. said...

i love that you try new things! you don't seem to own one ounce of pity for the things you can't do...because you don't make lists like that, i'll bet.

i like you even more after reading that you sweated your ace off. giggle giggle.

Heather said...

wow katie!! way to take on something new. You always amaze me.. can't wait for the next post..

Leesa said...

You are AMAZING! I can't play tennis to save me!
OK so you know everyone I swear. I was found by a friend and when I went on to her blog, I spied and found this guy I dated in high school-- well guess what-- you are on their blog and someone after that! You little miss popularity! So-- I need a time and place for lunch chicky!
We need to catch up!

Mistie said...

I love you!! I love all the things you do - it makes me feel motivated that i need to get off my booty and do something with my boring self!! And you look sexy in your little top! Ouuuuuouuuu!
btw- have you ever posted your "bucket list" - i would love to see all things you've done and still have to do. Maybe you can motivate me even more! So happy we hung out...i've missed you.

Christine said...

Ummm... I think I am in just complete awe of you, and really don't have any words to express it. Well, except for maybe, "You are AWESOME!!!" I love hearing (and seeing) you do things like this. In my head I just keep asking myself, "Now why aren't I doing something like this?" I mean you get off your butt and do it, kids in tow, and I sit in my house feeling sorry for myself (and eating something sugary, and getting fatter by the second). Man, I need to get out!