Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My Deja Vu Of Walking...

Yes this is me standing underneath my quote that has been written on the wall of the place that I used to/do go to therapy, "Neuroworx". When I first met Jan Black, she was just a therapist for another doctor so I consider myself an old schooler because I've been with Jan before "Neuroworx" was even in existence.
I use to live in a world of "therapy land" and finally got to a point where I realized that I needed to quit being selfish and LIVE again. I went back to work, bought a home, was a single parent, and stopped physically taking the best care of myself. Even though I missed therapy it just didn't fit in the cards. I knew that I could do it at home but you never do it at home. You always come up with other things that you should really be doing instead. So I stopped.....
...Now that I've got the time, I decided to start going back and I love it. It's hard to really explain but I'm just right back where I should be. We have fun! They make me laugh and I'm humbled every day. I see people who can't do anything because of how bad their injury is. They can't use their arms. They can't get around. They can't move from one spot to another without help. I'm humbled and at times have also felt really guilty and selfish. How can I complain when my life is a million times easier then theirs. Like I said, I'm humbled every day that I'm there and I need that. It brings me back to reality...
OK...so this is a warning. What you are about to see is not sexy. It's not cute. It looks awkward. But it's so great! Hard as hell but so awesome and more than words can explain! When I first learned how to do this 5 yrs ago, it was scary. I would have to talk myself into it and my famous line, my quote became "It's all mental" which is why they put it up on their wall. A classic Katie saying...



Anyway...just wanted to show you what else I've been working on. I had to brag a little and show that I can still walk with my leg braces. I'm proud of myself that I can do it! I'll get better like I was before but I'd say that it's not too bad for try #1 and #2 for missing out on doing it for 4 yrs, huh? :)

21 comments:

Priscilla - The Wheelchair Mommy said...

Awesome girl! I HATED my braces with a passion. It felt good to stand and know I could do it ... so it was so crazy mixed, kwim?

Kate Coveny Hood said...

You are amazing.

Brooke said...

Good job! You are so tuff, your arms are awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks so hard - awesome work Katie!! Such determination in your face! Awesome.

Dave said...

Hey, LTNS! Dave Gillespie here- you may remember me as the person you shared the red handcycle with... we've missed you @ the spinning classes. I was looking for other Neuroworx links and stumbled onto your blog- imagine that! Anyway, great job on the walking- I *may* be able to do that eventually- since my injury is T6, I have no hip flexors, which I am told are needed for the forward leg swing.... I'm only @ Neuroworx on Wednesdays for swimming now, maybe see you there? And I thought that quote on the wall was yours.

Dan and Katie said...

You are awesome, thats all I can say.

Karin Austin said...

I love that you inspire me with every blog. You are AMAZING! Love you, Karin

Amanda said...

Good golly, you're a machine! That is fabulous - not crazy or upsetting at all. I loved seeing you all upright and struttin' your bidness. You are amazing, and you're right, isn't all of it "all mental"? I'm so glad you know that you're possibilities are endless; it encourages me to feel the same about myself.

Tiffany said...

Katie, you are such an inspiration to me. Thank you for posting this!(P.S. This is your cousin.)

Parks Family said...

Love the classic Katie quote. Amazing!

steph said...

You are amazing! And an inspiration.

Tara said...

so freaking cool!!! i love it, you are one AMAZING girl!! keep up all the hard work, it's so awesome!

Heidi said...

Wow! That is amazing! Even though I don't know you, you are truly inspirational! Thank you for showing everyone that even with handicaps, anything is possible!

Jared said...

Katie, you are an amazing woman!

Staci said...

That is really cool (and amazing) to see you walking! Thanks for sharing those video clips. You rock :)

Anonymous said...

In a few more months I will dubs the first slow dance! You rock big time! This is the coolest thing ever!!!! Way proud of you. I don't want you getting so good that you could catch me every time I pop off to you though.... ha ha Keep it up Kaders! Love Niles! :)

Anonymous said...

Katie you are amazing and I love that the quote I've heard you say many times is now posted on their wall - that's awesome! Keep up the good work!

Mistie said...

Oh boy!! I had a smile on my face watching your videos! I remember you telling me how hard you worked before at that and that you had to give it up. I am so happy that you are going to work hard again. I am sure it is exhilerating but also tiring and frustrating too. So proud of you for trying again. You look great!! I can't imagine how hard it must be!!!! And i love that they put up your quote!!! You are amazing. I am giggling at that quote! It is SOOO you!
And btw- what is the status with Brit?

we chirp said...

Seriously Katie, you are truly inspiring and amazing!

ally said...

oh my goodness!
I know I've only met you in person briefly only once, but when I read this post you made me cry! You are such a strong person!! Your blog is awesome, and I'm so glad I found it!

Kehaupu said...

i enjoyed watching this babe. keep trying your best. wish i was your therapist instead though..you know how i am :) i love you! kiss kiss