i can not believe that we are already 6 weeks away until THIS! i am dying with excitement for what i will be experiencing!
then two weeks later, begins my summer of THIS. i should say i "hope" my summer of THIS begins because there's those dang things called money, cost, and expenses. i wish that i was worth a few million but sadly, i'm not.
with that being the case, i've had to turn to some fund raising efforts and maybe in a few weeks it will look a lot more like begging so sooorrrry. are my efforts perfect? no. do i hope that it will help? yes. every dollar counts and it all adds up, little by little. so take a look below and see what you think....
My Mission Statement...
To use the ability within my disability to be an example to those who may also be struggling with any type of trial and mostly to be an example to my children of a parent who did not give up.
Organization Name...
I am a member of the Utah Hand-Cycle Team and have the opportunity to travel all over the country competing on a National level. As an individual, I qualified and was selected to compete in the Boston Marathon in April of 2011.
Financial costs of travel and race expenses
Timing of Support...
April 01, 2011 - April 01, 2012
Overview of Request...
My name is Katie Terry and I am a single mother of two children, Carter is 9, and Kindra is 7. I currently live in American Fork, Utah.
Nine years ago, I was in an auto accident that left me paralyzed from the hips down...and they discovered I was pregnant with Kindra. Let me just say that when it rains, it can sure pour! I played soccer in university and have what I call "the athletes mentality" which is "Go. Fight. Win!" I knew that everything somehow and in someway was going to be ok and I was going to hit this challenge head on and live a great life!
It took some time learning how to "re-live" again, one day at a time, but I did it. I made a list of all of the things that I was going to do again and one by one, I checked them off. I soon realized that everything is possible even if you have to be a bit more creative doing it!
It was then that I realized in the ability within my disability and that I could be an example of dedication, commitment, endurance, and hard work. And doing it with a fun and positive attitude made it an incredible journey. "It's all Mental" is another one of my favorite quotes.
3 years ago, I decided that I needed to find an activity that would help me with a great cardio workout. That is when I borrowed a hand-cycle from the "National Ability Center" and began riding 12 miles 2-3 times a week. During one of my rides, I decided that I was going to see if I could participate in the "St George Marathon". They gave me the ok and I did it! It is impossible in words to describe the emotions that occur when you've completed something like a marathon. It was awesome! I also found out that I was also the FIRST EVER FEMALE hand-cyclist to participate in this marathon. WOW! How great was that?!
That was when I was invited to become a member of "The Utah Hand-Cycle Team" which gives me the opportunity to race all over the country on a National level. It was great to meet others who had the same passion that I had. It also allowed me training tools that helped me to become better also being the FIRST EVER hand-cyclist in the "Ragnar Relay" series and to qualify to participate in the "Boston Marathon"!
With all of these awesome opportunities also comes cost for race and travel expenses. I thought that I had a sponsor all lined up but at the last minute, it fell through. So I am scrambling to find some additional funding. I also want to let you know what I've been involved with and with what it is that I am asking.
It has been awesome to also work with "Heart 2 Home" giving back to the community! To see the joy in someones face when they see the kindness of strangers. I love being able to serve others both with this organization as well as others that I have been involved with. Last summer I went with "Ascend Humanitarian" down to Peru on a service mission to teach them about dental hygiene, recycling, and some schooling. Again, an awesome experience!
I have been asked numerous times if I would ever take back this "trial" and after reflecting on all of the great things that I have been able to be a part of, my answer is simply "No. I really wouldn't. The example that I've been to my kids is worth it. The knowledge that I'm helping others to see what they can truly accomplish is worth it! The tears of gratitude make me understand that it's been a blessing. To realize the ability within my disability."
I am asking for donations, big or small, or for a company that would be able to become my sponsor for both races locally and nationally. It would also be a perfect way for a company to advertise. I would also promote this company in any way that they'd like.
I would be very grateful if this could be possible. Thanks for your time and for looking into this opportunity. If you'd like to donate, you can go to paypal.com and donate to the email address kterry88@gmail.com. And remember, now matter how big or small the donation is, it all adds up, little by little, and will make a huge difference!
Take care,
Katie Terry
www.hotwheels24.blogspot.com



















3 comments:
Go Katie!!!!
Hey Katie! I tweeted about your efforts and will definitely make a contribution myself! I don't have a ton of followers but thought it could help. ALSO - it might be worth reaching out to some of the big bloggers out there to see if they would repost your efforts if you haven't already. I know Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point does that sometimes! GO KATIE GO!
xoxo
Katie - if you want me to contact some of the bloggers on your behalf I'd be happy to do so. I doubt my blog is any bigger than yours or anything like that, but I wasn't sure if you'd rather do it yourself, or have someone else make the contact. It might make more sense for you to do it, but I'd be happy to help if you'd like! :)
Post a Comment