Needless to say, I knew that I would die of boredom during the marathon if I did not have my important music to keep me on track. (That is why I can never do any type of exercise for a long period of time...BOREDOM. I don't know what that says about me but it is what it is) So on Friday morning, I went out and made the best $49 purchase of my life...a cute little iPod shuffle. I made a phone call to Thomas, who would be meeting me down in St. George, to bring up her lap-top since I knew that she would have the best and the most up-to-date music possible for me, (her), to download. hehehe...and boy was I right!!!
I got down to St.George, checked in, got my number, and met Thomas close to 8 pm. The plan was to head over to her friend Becka's house, visit for awhile, and go to bed...EARLY...since I had to be up at 4:30 am for the race.
Um. Yeah. Not so much. We had way to much fun talking, laughing, and Thomas HOOOOKING my iPod up with the best mix possible. Before we knew it, it was 12:30 am. I know that I was in denial because I hate waking up early and I'm so NOT a morning person. I got dressed in my race attire so that I could literally wake up, go to the bathroom, put on my shoes, and be out the door. I was so excited to listen to my tunes that I could not wait...notice the red and tired eyes? But I will say that I had the best 4 hrs of sleep that I've had in a LONG time!?! hehehe
They had their desired finish times all set and all that I was worried about was actually finishing the race. I had heard stories about the 3 main hills on the course and it had me really nervous. Plus, since it was still so dark, as the race began, you could not see squat which made me a little more cautious.
26+ miles, 2 hrs 26 min later, right behind the "regular" male race winner, I came in to the finish line! It was such an experience! One that is impossible to describe with words. I fought to hold back my emotions as I went past loud cheers of encouragement and praise...the whole entire race! It is the greatest feeling EVER to know that you've made it and that you've done it. Once again...there was Thomas and Becka right there to support me and to cheer me on!


I'm DONE!!!

This is Niel Harding of Bountiful who won the male division and YES...this is me who WON THE FEMALE DIVISION! In fact, not to brag, but I am the first female to EVER compete in the hand-cycle division in the St. George marathon. I did not even know that when I signed on but an accomplishment like that just adds to how proud of myself I am! I am also so happy with my finish time. The hills were tough but not as hard as I thought that they would be so that only helped my time. The key was to not look clear up ahead and see how steep the hill was. If I just looked a bit ahead of my front tire, it did not feel as tough. You would think that 2 hrs would have felt like a long time but it was not that bad at all. I will attribute that to my iPod which kept me going hard core! Thomas...you are the best and all because of the music, I was not "A D D musically challenged"! hehehe :)

...did I mention that I was completely soaked and was freezing to death! There were times during the race that I could not see because the rain was coming down so hard. Then my front wheel would just add more water to my all ready soaked face because it would kick it back on to my body :( boo hoo hoo I KNOW!

...yes...looking like a drowned rat!
Thomas giving me crap about how disgustingly dirty that my car is...
I met Tara down there who also ran the race. She was also happy with her time though the weather was a huge factor to those not being able to beat their last years time. Rain, wind, and being cold honestly sucks! She too was completely soaked and freezing to death!!!
The Awards Ceremony...For winning I received a travel bag, a plaque, a huge chocolate bar, a ring (like a graduation ring) which I had them inscribe on the inside--- "hotwheels" to keep the "name tradition" alive, and the best of all...a $250 travel certificate from Morris-Murdock Travel!!! I can hardly wait to start planning our next trip! :)
I liked how on the medals that they just stated that you were a "finisher". That way they gave everyone the same one, not making anyone feel better or worse. The point is that you did it and that you accomplished such a huge goal!



You need to go and check out this link that is a news article about the race which I think is pretty cool. Come on...it's always fun to see your name in the paper especially when you are quoted!
Once again, another great weekend because of what I was able to accomplish. As I was on my way home, with alot of time to think, I realized how thankful I am for these opportunities. Back in the day, even a year ago, I would have never imagined myself doing/accomplishing these types of challenges. It has helped me to grow in ways that I never would have imagined and I feel so lucky! I heard something yesterday that I would have to agree with. Even though I know the concept, it helps to hear it every once in a while. "Trials, hardships, bumps in the road are necessary so that we can recognize the challenges that we can overcome. This will lead to a personal growth that we need, to be able to reach our full capability. It will allow us to grow in ways that we never would have imagined. One day we'll look back and realize what it all had been for and for how thankful we are of it to have happened." I totally agree! It can be miserable while we are enduring it but afterwards, we can see the blessings that we've received and the lessons that we were able to learn.
Shout out to those who helped me to realize that once again, I could still do it! Thank you for supporting me 100%. You have never let me give up or to give in! Thomas...thanks a million times for being there with me this weekend! It meant so much and our "good and funny times" absolutely MADE the weekend! YOU R THE BEST! Thanks Becka for letting me crash at your place!
I can hardly wait to see where the next one will be but let's just hope that the weather will be SUNNY!!! :)



















35 comments:
You had me in tears reading this post! Way to go!! It truly does amaze me when I read about people when they do these marathons and there own perspective on the race. Maybe one day for me?!?
CALLING ALL KATIE TERRY FRIENDS, FAMILY, AND FANS! I will not let Katie downplay this weekend or how bad ass she is... one bit! You all should know that she was absolutely inspiring and a rock star! I got to stand next to family of the other wheel chair "hand cycle" racers and they all kept saying that the men were more impressed and excited to see her race than anyone else. It was a huge accomplishment for her and for the sport! They also said they want her to join their team in SL and train for Paralympics! So....all friends, family, and fans of Katie Terry - don't let her forget that she is a rock star and completely capable of doing this and so much more. I can't even tell you how much I look up to this girl.
Katie- thank you for one of the best weekends! I am so lucky to have you as a BFF in my life. Anything you want to try or accomplish, I will be there cheering you on. You are bad ass! Good times! Just next time, wear some gloves and pants so you don't freeze ha ha!
Thomas:)
congratulations... you are amazing! I have said it before, and I'll say it again- reading your blog truly inspires me!
ps... i wish i looked that good soaking wet!
Oh my heck...are you are KIDDING ME? You were the winner and the first female?? KATIE!! I am so STINKING happy for you!!!!! You kick A in everything you do!! I wish we lived closer, I would sign you up as my exercise partner to get my big ace in shape!
Honestly, I couldn't be happier for you right now. I wish I could have been there to scream you on past the finish line. I probably would have cried for you!
Oh and by the way...your body rocks girl. How on earth did you obtain suck killer abs???
Kisses and hugs to you from Idaho!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for you Katie!!
As a friend of Katie Terry, I promise I will NEVER let Katie forget how amazing she is. In the short time we've been friends, she's inspired me in ways that I can vocalize and ways I can't. This race and your feelings about your accomplishment speak to me about the nature of trials, the importance of struggling to overcome them, and the bittersweet but joyful feeling of understanding and gratitude for the trial once it's been weathered.
I love you, Katie, and I am proud to call you "friend".
your abs of steal are SICK! man...
congrats, you! so proud...
{did i mention your ABS?! holy hell!} xoxo.
Paraolymipics! HECK YES! You ARE a rock star! You are the envy of so many....Your kids are lucky to have such an amazing mom. I love reading your post, always inspiring. Let me know the plans when and where....:)
Way to represent girlfriend!!! Glad you had a great race, I was so dreading it by mile 7:( I'm still freezing, I think it shocked my internal thermostat being so drenched and cold! You are so freaking awesome, I don't even deserve to be in your post but hey, I feel lucky to say I'm your friend:) Paralympics here you come!!!
ps- Thomas's shirt says it all: Dazed and Confused!!! Seriously, that's how I felt all morning! And I want to see what you have on your playlist, long live the shuffle!!
I am so proud of you. You truly are amazing and what an accomplishment. Last year, when the bus dropped us off at 4:30 and all of those fires were up there and everyone was warming up and stretching, I just huddled by the fire and thought what the heck am I doing. My theory is I had 26.2 miles to warm up, but you did it in the rain!! I might have just backed away. It was stinking hard in the sunshine let alone in the freezing cold rain. I could barely move for three days! Way to go!! Brody wears my finisher medal all the time as a necklace. I hope you keep going and continue to do things like this because you truly are an inspiration to many (look at all your comments) I have a sister-in-law who has checked out your blog and is just truly amazing by your abilities. Thanks for being you and inspiring us all!! CONGRATS!! Ash
Katie! You are amazing. This story is so inspiring - you are (like Thomas said) a ROCK STAR. And, I'm with Karey - your abs... JEEBUS! Congratulations. You are my hero.
Katie,
I stumbled acrossed your blog through Mandee's (hope you don't mind). I just have to say that reading your posts and about the things you have accomplished is so inspiring...makes me think twice about things and also makes me want to try harder. So keep it up and congrats on the race!!!
Haylie (Gerber) Worthen
Seriously the coolest thing I have ever read! Congratulations katie! Way to go! ps I know that i know kthomas. Did she go to skyline? anywho...congrats!
oh and by the way you look absolutely beautiful in those pictures!
Holy Crap!!! You are amazing. I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad that I didn't go with you. I should have been there. Who cares about passing classes and graduating...I missed your first effing marathon. Bummed. But so happy at how well you did. I love you so much!!!
Katie!!! Congrads on the great weekend. I knew you could do it. I only wish that i could have made it down with you. Next time, give me two weeks notice and i am with you. I also think you need to join that SL team and kick some more butt! Your amazing and a great example.
There are no words...you are my hero! Congrats!
Huge Congrats! What an accomplishment. And you did it in style!
I was dying to hear about your amazing race all weekend! You are so amazing, keep up the great work. You inspire all those around you :)
What was so cool about this is that your are not a pro, just a tough girl out having fun. It was so cool to see all the great pictures. Great photographer :)
AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! SOOOO cool! Big congrats from Texas!
You are AMAZING awe inspiring and by far the most KICK ASS girl I know! Sorry for the cussing but really how else can you say it! You Rock! Take Care!
Valerie (Kt's friend, Professional shape cake maker) HA HA!
Wow, that is awesome...Congrats!!!!
First.....HOLY FLIPPN COW!- YOUR FRIEND IS RIGHT, YOU REALLY ARE A ROCK STAR! That is the coolest thing ever! Congrats and great job are understatements of the year!
Second....Private? ...not Private? when you decided to go private again, you better invite me :) I missed you for that min. :) Again- WOW great job on you race!
Congrats!! I didn't even know you were going to do the St. George marathon. I went to see the results of the weekend and saw your name. Looks like a memorable weekend; good times, great friends.
I've said it once, I'll say it again.... You are my idol!!! Congratulations! I would love a girls night out anytime, just let me know.
Seriously, those abs are crazy. I tried not to stare but I couldn't help it:)
Can I say that I'm cool since i'm related to you?
You are the rockinest rocker ever. And you should seriously get on that Paralympics Katie! I am so proud of you and your example to me as my big sister :)
So that is amazing that you not only won first but was the first female to win!
My friend Cairen saw you down there, I think...
So jealous I wish I could have been there
And rock on Thomas for standing by your side at the crack of dawn! I was freezing just looking at the pictures! I bow down to the queen of awesomeness!
I don't know what to add, you are inspiring! No more than that, but I can't find the words. How are your arms? I hope you keep this feeling with you a long time.
Katie, this is your long lost friend Nichole Fox Beck! I ran the marathon and saw your picture in the St. George paper the next day and was so freakin proud of you. I was telling everyone about you! What a challenging race because of the weather. I'd love to chat with you sometime. I miss you and we need to catch up! You are such an inspiration!
Hi Katie...so I really have no business being on your blog as you don't know me, so let me first apologize for being nosy :) I came across your blog from Lyssa's, who I do know and adore from my time coaching her in bball at LP, anyway, I just had to post because you never cease to amaze! You are such an inspiration to all. Big congrats to you on your great finish in the marathon and best of luck in the many more that are to come I am sure...2012...London... :) Ok, last two things...your kids are adorable and are so blessed to have you as their mom...and finally, your abs make me sick :) (not really, but you know what I mean...I'm so jealous!) All the best to you and your cute fam! -Amanda VanZeben
You are amazing and I'm glad I was able to get on your blog. Your invite to me didn't work. Anyway congrats!
You are an unbelievable athlete, I am so impressed!! What more can I say congrats a million times over!
OMG you are amazing. And you look hot doing it. Can I call my cousin hot? Eh, methinks I can. Love your posts. I look forward to them. You're my best connection to the Terry fam (since my parents only update every month or so). Take care darlin.
K- i seriously was almost crying reading your post. KT- you are amazing and you so inspire me. The caliber of an individual that you are is unbelievable. I hate to say it but i dont know what man could ever deserve you. EVER. really you are a step above everyone else. I am so proud of you for your endurance, motivation, positive attitude, etc... I am blessed to know you and to have you as my friend. You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your page is so fun, cute, sweet and inspirational! It made me cry! lol Your such a sweet heart. Let's do a girls night and go c a movie or SOMETHING! Call Jenny and lets get this party started!
JeN Stewart
Post a Comment