Winston Churchill once said "it was a flash of color on the hard road we have to travel". I've had many flashes of color on my hard road but none have excited me quite like this one has.Remember when I was able to participate with this? Well this is where and how it all began.
Professor Keith Barney, who teaches at BYU, invited me to go with him to speak to the "Utah Association of Rehabilitation Nurses which gives support and education to rehab nurses across Utah. I was so excited, to share my message of help and hope, as well as to get my name and face out to additional nurses from all over Utah. Then they will know who to call when they have a patient who needs to talk to someone who really knows what life and the future will be like.
The meeting went great, having Keith and I each share our very different situations and experiences. I also learned so much from what he shared. He brought out some very valid points and shared some personal information about topics that male spinal cord injury patients must deal with. Topics that I myself have often wondered about, though have not known who to ask or who to talk with them about.
After the presentation was over, I got chatting and answered additional questions about my own "story". I have never felt shy about telling my experiences. I felt like I could really be honest and deep about my rehab experiences even though it had been negative and at the infamous IHC, where this association was primarily based. These ladies were awesome, listening and learning from what I was saying.
We finally ended our convo and I happily headed home knowing that I had just helped someone out whether it was a nurse or a current/future patient. I literally was overjoyed as chee-zee as that sounds. Like I said...it was a good night.
The next morning I got an even better surprise! A woman by the name of Pam Farrell called me with a proposal. They wanted me to start writing a column in their newsletter that goes out to ALL the rehab nurses. ALL of them. Not just the ones I had met with the previous night. Oh my!!!! I was DYING with excitement. But it got even better. She was also writing the rehab section of their new nurses manual and wanted me to be their case study. Are you kidding me?!?! Was this really happening? Yep!!! I was FREAKING OUT with EXCITEMENT!!! Now I KNEW that I would be helping so many patients and care-givers in Utah...and nationally since she also told me that this newsletter goes out of state. I know. I know. How awesome is this?!?
So yes. I have been putting all of my ideas and experiences together and making sure that I don't forget anything so wish me luck!
And remember. It's all timing. There's a season for everything. Don't ever stop learning because you never know when it's going to come in handy. Most importantly. Being in the right place at the right time is everything and when you're doing what you internally and personally believe to be correct, good things will happen and you'll know that those are the things that should be happening because you deserve them. Make sense? I hope so because this was such an answer to what I've been questioning for awhile.
"Be patient and enduring because good will come soon and probably, most likely when you least expect it."



















No comments:
Post a Comment