Saturday, April 26, 2008

One More To Add To My Collection...

My brother, John-Charles, knows how much I love and collect roosters so when he was on his mission, he brought me back this one from Brazil. I have tried to acquire my roosters from "not so common" places, like other countries or at least from other states so it was very important for him to get me one while on his study abroad.
Finally after 2 days of travel including canceled and delayed flights and a layover, he finally arrived home! Carter was very proud of his "countdown calendar" that he made to await the exciting day and they were so excited to go up to see him! This is the rooster paraphernalia that he delivered and he even put some thought into it since he knew that the 2 gifts are tied together....
Once a certain man was condemned at Barcelos, a small town on the North of Portugal, to be hanged for a crime, which he had not committed.

In vain did he swear his innocence but found no alibi to prove the truth of his affirmations.

Under a sudden faith impulse, he appealed to Our Lady and St. James, his patron Saint, for protection, imploring them to release him from the unjust sentence he was going to serve.

Then, he asked to be allowed to go to the presence of the Judge, since it was his last wish. The Magistrate received him in his dining room, where he was having a meal.

Once again, the man under sentence of death, swore his innocence, and as a sudden defiance to Providence he added, that the roasted cock which lay on a tray on the Judge's table would get up and crow if his statements were really true.

And, indeed, the rooster immediately jumped up out from the tray and started crowing vibrantly.

The legend has passed from generation to generation down through the centuries and the well known and typic "Cock of Barcelos", is therefore a symbol of faith, justice, and good luck.

He surprised the kids with one of his purchases that he made while he was in Morocco and while he was camel riding. Kindra immediately requested that he take it right off!?!

He brought the kids back a "bucking bull" and a "moving horse", of course. The kids had a few good laughs at their gifts and were just so excited to have a surprise!




I also received this table runner and this decorative plate from Portugal and from Spain! But more importantly, I received one of my favorite people back home, my brother who I consider one of my best-friends and who I love and respect very much! He has shared with me some experiences that have helped me to grow, progress, and that have been answers to some of the prayers that I have questioned. He has reminded me and helped me with understanding that "this is all for a reason" what ever "this" may be, especially when I needed to hear it! I love you JC and am so happy that you are home!


4 comments:

The Brockbanks said...

What a fun thing to collect! That story is neat. I met Hilary through my friend Cindy Brenchly (now Tadje.) I love to laugh and I laugh the WHOLE time I am with her. The things she does with her tounge... Amazing!! I loved coaching cheer at Lone Peak. It was tons of work though. I want to do it again when my kids are a little older. I bet the girls loved having you coach basketball. That is neat!!

*WEST* said...

Hi Katie, it's Shannon I told Jen that I thought about leaving you a comment but was not sure if you would remember me, Jen said to do it. I have not seen you in such a long time probably the last was after Jen and I graduated Dallas Roberts. Just wanted to say hello and you look GREAT! Have a super day!

Lyssa Beth said...

I love your hair and yeah for JC being home safe and sound!! Cute rooster stuff. Ya you can get a SAn Antonio Rooster :)

Tara said...

I'll keep my eye out for unique roosters next time I'm out and about, you never know where you might find a treasure! As far as the show goes, what's your email so I can let you in on some "small" details? Mine is coopertnc@hotmail.com Sorry for the long delay to respond, we've been gone but I'm back and trying to catch up!