Being a parent is hard, very hard! It is even harder when your kids have their "issues". Carter has a mixture of ADD, OCD, Autism, and some learning disorders that are categorized as "A Child With Special Needs". Ok, whatever! Really it's nothing since his "case" is extremely minor! Does he have his days? For sure! Does he try so hard to do what is right? Definitely! I know that he could be a million times worse so I try to put only positive attention on his "needs", not negative attention.Now, do I have those days where I compare or look at other kids who act their age or even look at my own daughter and wish that Carter could be like her, etc. etc. Yeah... I do even though I know I can't or shouldn't and that it will not change...it is what it is! And then I feel horrible about it because I love my Carter and if asked...would really not change him or want him to be any different!
The kids are having a sleep-over at their Corbridge grandparents and so I had some quiet time last night. I turned on my DVR and decided to watch Oprah's Big Give. I was doing other things as I had it on until they talked about doing something for a woman who has 5 autistic children. As I watched the small segment that they did on her family, I was completely balling!
How selfish am I and how hard would that be? I can not imagine and those kids have full on disorders. It made me re-think my situation and made me want to punch myself in the face! At times I live in a bubble. A bubble that does not allow me to understand that there are really really hard things out there in our world that people are going through all day long. Things that make my hardships seem like nothing at all! Things that make me want to never complain ever again. I know it but until I see it, it doesn't sink in! I live in a different world level I guess. It also makes me understand how lucky I am to have the things that I do...the opportunities that I have! Don't get me wrong...we all have to get our frustrations out but next time remember that it could be soooo worse! Anyway...more out loud thinking .....



















4 comments:
We're having our issues right now too; ours aren't with kids, but more of a career/financial nature. I was complaining to a friend the other day about why I wished I could have some other trial - not the one I seem to be stuck with. She said this quote from her mother: "We all have our bag of rocks to lug around in our life. Truth is, if everyone got in a big circle and threw their bag of rocks in the middle for all to see, we'd all scramble and claw to get our own bag out of the pile."
I love this. We all have our stuff, but our stuff is ours for a reason, and truth is, we probably wouldn't trade it for someone else's.
P.S. I saw your comment, and I'm still here, just struggling with posting lately!
Okay Katie I never check blogs (you know me) but I love your latest post. You seriously are amazing - you have had a lot of diversity in your life and still your positive attitude towards life and kids is unreal. I look up to you a lot - learning to live with the cards that are dealt to us (fair or not) is hard for me.... lately..... ha okay enough sappy stuff....come visit me!
oh sister i love love love you. I wouldn't change Carter for the world either! He came in my room this morning and in the softest voice said "Jenny. Please get up. YOu have study group at you school" hahahahah obviously Grandma sent him up so she didn't have to come upstairs...but he is so sweet and sincere. Kindra won't even give me the time of day anymore. She's over it! hahahah
Katie-
you seriously have the best outlook on life. You inspire me! I need to hang out with you more...
Post a Comment