Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Africa 5k Benefit Run...

Last weekend Sara and I were able to participate in The Africa 5k Benefit Run that Tara, being the race "Director", had helped to organize. I was so glad to do it but it was way too early (early puffy face) and way too cold and when you put those 2 factors together???...that equals a little bit of anger in my heart!?! The kids were so excited because they were able to come to this one and see me actually race. It was the best, as I was coming around the corner, to see them at the end cheering me on! My parents and my sis Jenny were able to also come which is always an added bonus...when your family and people who actually KNOW YOU are there to see you perform! Kindra was giving me pep talks the whole ride over..."Mom. Remember what we've talked about. You never give up. I want you to win but don't be too upset if someone beats you." I was laughing so hard to myself because I realized just how good she has gotten at quoting her Mother!!!
Congrats to the Foundation as well! They were not sure what the turn out would be but there ended up being over 125 racers so not too bad I'd say....

...the half-way point ...

I will say that it's nice to be the ONLY hand cycle participant and/or the only female competitor because then I'm always guaranteed a 1st place medal/award! hehehe Serious...I'm going to have to designate one of my walls pretty soon!?! But really...I have found my new passion! I get so pumped and into it. Even though I am the only one in my "category", I am so competitive against myself....making sure that I am beating my previous finish times. It's all about my motivated, highly competitive, determined mind set I guess! :)

17 comments:

Julie said...

Wow..great job! I'll talk to you later...you make me want to get out and do something!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the race! I wish I had the will to get up and work out so I could do stuff like this. I registered for a 5k once, then got lazy and quit running so I never did it. My only excuse is not getting out of bed early enough to run.

I am feeling much better. Thanks for asking. I have been so busy with school, being the middle of the semester and all the teachers are starting to expect a lot more than they did the first half of the semester.

Brooke said...

Great job. You have the mind of an Olympian! :)
You said in an earlier post, you miss your small delicate arms... well buff strong arms beat those little sissy things. I am so happy for you to find a passion for racing.

*WEST* said...

YOU ROCK!!! Happy Halloween tomorrow! ha ha

Lyssa Beth said...

NICE Katie! I hope you get into the paraplympics!! You can do IT

Brooke said...

Sorry to double comment, but I had to tell you, I was showing my 8 year old this post about your cool hand bike. He thought it was so awesome you do that! We started looking at all the cool sports you do on your side bar pictures and he said, "so she can pretty much do anything she wants to, just kind of differently" I thought that was said perfectly, you can do anything you want to, if you put your mind to it like you do :)

Karin Austin said...

I want arms like that! Maybe I should work out with you. I needs some inspiring and you pretty much inspire me! I'd love to come see you race so next time call me!
Happy Halloween!
Karin

Heather said...

Katie congrads on racing again.. But next time let me know when you race. I would love to see you compete!! I am glad to hear that your family and your children got to see you race though, even if you were the only one doing hand cycle.

Vintage Fox Boutique & Designs said...

Good job babe you look awesome! HOpe you are loving your new Star shirt I love mine I am wearing it now and I am so glad I had only 1 left crazy! see you soon

Anonymous said...

Katie, I am so impressed with you -you're amazing and I love that you still have your competitive spirit!

Parks Family said...

Just another day in training for the olympics! I really think you should do it. You have the passion and drive for something like this. oh ya-Happy Halloween!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Good job Katie! It's so fun to find a passion like that. I'm way over due for a "passion" right now! Man, I wish we lived closer. I would honestly hire you to be my fitness coach!

Have a great Halloween. The costumes and pumpkins look great!

Tara said...

Nice job Miss 1st Place! Can't wait to see how quickly your wall of fame fills up, it won't take long:) And yes I too suffered from the puffy face, it was too early and too cold- we should've went inside the building to warm up our faces before the pictures! You know it's all about the pictures:) hehe

John-Charles said...

You are Amazing!

Mistie said...

YAYY KT! and you look so cute being so early in the morning. and i think you should have a KT rules wall in your house!! It would be jam-packed!

Jena said...

you're such a rock star! I love you

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie - it's Katie I can't sign on to my account at work:) Glad you are public! Congrats on all your new races. I'm so proud of you! I can't wait to see some more. You should be competing in the Silverman in Vegas this weekend - you ARE that hard core!