Monday, November 5, 2007

Comfort Zones



I have found myself at a place that comes with parenthood. That place in which you must make your child do something that is very painful. Painful for her because it must change something that she has done since day one and painful for you as the parent because you must force her to do something that causes hurt but that in the long run will be better tackled now than in 5 years.
Kindra puts her thumb just into the top of her mouth...not thumb sucking but just the actual thumb being right there makes her feel comfortable. It also tells her mind that it's time for bed. I remember when she was a baby, this was a nightly event but the problem is that it could cause problem with her teeth and possibly with her jaw. I have been forced to put a sock on her hand and tape it on at night... :(
I have asked for advice from friends and family and have not received any advice that sends me one direction over the other. I look back on my life and what "comfort zones" I have had. I have a few times mentioned "the silky", a pillowcase that I have had my whole life. Now "the silky" is not a necessity that I must have to sleep but it makes me sleep more comfortably. Just knowing that it is there helps me even to this day. Some may think that this is an issue but whatever is all I can say. Whenever I am sitting on the couch or laying in bed I will place my hand just under my pant line. Not a true "Al Bundy" but close. Again, just a comfort thing. Don't have to but want to....
My sister has a stuffed animal that she has the same feelings about. My friend has to pull up his shirt closer and higher up on his neck to feel better. Other friends find comfort in staying at their current jobs, being afraid to make a change out of their "comfort zones". We all know people who have their own "comfort zones" and so I ask myself...Is it really wrong to have "comfort zones" if they do not cause harm or problems with ones life?
Of course I will say that there is nothing wrong because I have fallen victim to the "comfort zone" problem. I love my silky and it will be a terrible day when something happens to that silky piece of pillowcase. I have lent half of it out for safekeeping to a friend just for that very reason so when you read this, know how important this job is! But seriously... there is something wrong with it when it causes injury or some negative end result.
Will I continue to subject my daughter to this pain? Yes. Do I love doing it? No! Is this one of those things we must just painfully do? Yes, but that does not mean that we enjoy doing it so Kindra, I am sorry! I love you and want the best for you and I must continue to be strong and continue to tape that dang sock to your arm....... :(

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I was a thumb-sucker until I was THIRTEEN! Long after I stopped doing it intentionally, it would just automatically find its way into my mouth at night. I had this huge, hideous callous on my thumb and I was really embarassed about it. Doing what's best for your kids when it's contrary to what they want is hands down one of my hardest challenges as a parent. I am surprised at how often I just want to give in and go with what makes them happy. Kudos to you for doing what you think is best for your daughter.

Lyssa Beth said...

YOu are doing the right thing! I think Joe would agree too since, in his dental perspective, it's true. It could cause serious teeth and jaw rearrangement. So hang in there! I do the pant thing too I've noticed!

Anonymous said...

Hun....You know you are the best Mom ever so don't worry about Kindra and her new sock puppet! I've seen you in action and I know you always do what's best for those two kids. Too bad they won't be there this weekend- I'd love to spend more time with them.

The Blaisdell Family said...

I hate breaking habits with kids and myself. It's actually easier for me to do with my kids because anything for myself I usually just give in and keep the habit.

I have a small travel pillow that I honestly can NOT sleep without. It's not that it has to be that very specific pillow, but I trained myself with 3 pregnancies that I have to have this pillow to hug in order to keep my big boobs from pulling my shoulders together while I sleep on my side. If I don't have it, it feels like my sternum is going to break in half the next morning. Someday...I will have my boobs back to normal size:) Then, maybe, I will break my habit!

Good luck with Kindra. It takes time, but it will happen!!