Monday, April 12, 2010

Where Do I Begin?

Yesterday, Sunday, I was so excited to find out that one of my new favorite people was going to be teaching the lesson for our church meeting! Her lesson was going to discuss the Holy Ghost (and if you want a refresher lesson look here)

She spoke about the spirit being a comforter, a feeling that comes when we need help, when we need to almost become ignorant, acting like a child, and when we need those extra feelings of love and compassion. She asked us to think about a time in our life when we have felt and known the presence of the Holy Ghost. There are numerous times but there would have to be one in particular.

Whenever they show the scene in the hospital when they tell the person that they are paralyzed, it is full of sadness, anger, depression, and a full on freak out. I am so lucky because for me, that was so not the case. I remember waking up and I just knew. Instantaneously knowing that everything was going to be OK and that I needed to have complete trust. I did the therapy and all of the hard "learn how to live again" things no problem and I just did it. It was like I was a naive and trusting child, learning all over again who Katie was.

The funny thing is that now whenever I go to a hospital, to talk to a new patient, I have a mini freak out in my head as I pass the therapy room, thinking back on what life was like back then and of how hard it was. It makes me sick and I don't think that I could ever do it again. I KNOW that I couldn't do it again. It was so miserable....thinking back. But how wonderful is it that when I was going through it all, life was great, it was a new challenge, I still laughed, and I KNEW that I would make it! There's a reason why the phrase "Ignorance is Bliss" is my favorite. I know that it was one of the Holy Ghost's tender mercies, allowing me to have been ignorant and naive, learning like a child. It allowed me to be open to the teachings and to be able to recognize the miracles that were happening all around me. It's the same feeling that I now get whenever I listen to my favorite classical music or when I feel the joy that I get when I help with a charitable event. I love it!

Thanks D for the reminder that I need to keep trusting, the realization that it is how it is supposed to be, the goose-bumps, and the tears......

Anyway, I'm also going to work on writing down more of the thoughts that sometimes go through my head. Life can get crazy and thoughts can be forgotten. I want my kids to really know and understand how random and weird there Mom is, no matter how much that may be!?! LOL

No comments: