Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Steve Young/Snowbird Ski Classic

Every year "The Young Foundation", "Wasatch Adaptive", and the "Snowbird Ski Resort", team up and put together a fundraising event called "The Steve Young Ski Classic". And yeah!!! This year I got invited to go up for the weekend to ski and to attend their "Open Auction Evening Gala". It was such a great time! The day was absolutely gorgeous and the snow conditions were perfect! ps....notice my #?!? #24 :)
My first run down and my first "race", since it was just for fun, was against none other than Steve Young. He was friendly and you know that I couldn't help but talk some trash before we headed down! LOL I even beat him....after I cut him off!?! hehehe

Muffy Davis and I just hanging out on the mtn. Muffy is a down hill paralympian and she is also on the Utah Handcycle Team with me. She is hilarious and we're going to have a good time this year!

...and to my surprise they even let Kindra and Carter get up there and race in one of the shorter races!


Kindra pulling her shy, nervous, and embarrassed face....as Lee Johnson was lifting her up. And can I tell you that he was the FUNNIEST guy ever!!! Hilarious!.....

The gentleman in the light blue coat is going to be one of my new mentors! Seriously he is awesome and can help me alot!
So the best part of the event was to recognize how "normal and human" that some of these guys can be. They have not forgotten who they were before they became "famous". They are still approachable, compassionate, hilarious, and just like you and I.

There were 3 men that stood out....

First would be him. As we were hanging out waiting for the races, we were introducing ourselves to each other. This guy wearing an orange jacket introduced himself as "Mike". He was soooo tall so I knew that he played ball but other than that I had no clue. I made the joke that we were going to have to do this all again later at the dinner since we had coats, helmets, and goggles on and could not see our faces. We did the chit chat thing having fun, racing, and went on our separate ways. So that night at the dinner, I saw Mike Doleac, knowing exactly who he was but felt shy to just go up and introduce myself. I noticed that he had looked over and was now heading over. The shyness began to set in!

"Hi Katie...it's me. Orange jacket guy. Mike."

"Hey Mike! How are you? I told you we'd have to do this again!?!" I said.

We then just talked about some of the bidding items and how the night was and bla bla bla.

How awesome was he?!? How "human" was he to do that?!? I was laughing inside as I thought how stupid I had been for not realizing who he was! And I love that when he first told me his name, it was Mike...not Mike Doleac. Anyway...great guy and this article about him is pretty cool too!

Second would be him. We chatted all night. About everything. Family. Sports. My "story". His "story". About living in Highland. Everything and again, just like talking to some random guy off the street. Fame and money has definitely not affected him!

Third would be this guy. Very impressive and very down to earth. Again, just like talking to some random off the street. We all got a signed copy of his new book and I've actually read it. Great book and very true about sports, life, and the importance of the people you surround your life with.

Anyway, another great day on the slopes with my kids, at another awesome event that I got to be apart of! Thanks again to "Wasatch Adaptive" for the invite!

No comments: