Thursday, May 14, 2009

May Is National Bike Month

Get Ready!
May 15th is "Bike to Work Day"!

Why ride your Bike?

For your health...The average person loses 13 lbs their first year of commuting by bike. Just 3 hours of bicycling per week can reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke by 50%. A 140 pound cyclist burns 508 calories while pedaling 14 miles in an hour.

For the world...The US could save 462 million gallons of gas a year by increasing cycling from 1% to 1.5% of all trips. Each US rush hour auto commuter spends an average of 50 hours a year stuck in traffic. In 2003, cars idling in traffic wasted 5 billion gallons of fuel.

For our future...In 1964, 50% of kids rode to school and the obesity rate was 12% and in 2004, 3% rode to school and the obesity rate was 45%. Between 1960 and today the average weight of a 6-11 year old has increased 11 pounds.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Wow very interesting and motivating statistics. I've been bike riding a couple of days this week and yes, I do feel fabulous!

Dan and Katie said...

I thought about it for a second...but then what do I do all sweaty at work?!? I whimped out :(