The following team would be "The Utah Wheelin' Jazz". They are ranked 5th in the country as part of the National Wheelchair Basketball Association and for the first time, they've made it to the final four!
After my injury, a few of my therapists tried to get me to go play ball but I firmly would decline. "My baller day's are over and I have put that up on an untouchable shelf. Wheelchair ball is not true ball and I would never take it seriously or respect it as a game." Believe me, if I could take those words and thoughts back I would!
After you go through a life changing experience there are different emotions that you have to go through to recover. Each individual goes through them at different points and times in their life and they have to be ready for them in their own way. We all have our own ways of "mourning" and last year I was finally ready for a new "baller" experience.
I agreed to meet Mike Schlappi for one of their practices and told myself that I would at least go for 20 minutes so as to be polite. 2 hours later, I was still there! It is hard for me to properly express the thoughts that were going through my mind and the emotion that I was feeling. It was awesome and it put me in my place! It was then that I realized that wheelchair basketball is a completely different and separate game than "able-bodied" basketball. It has its own logic, maneuvers, strategies, offense, defense, etc, etc! Sorry to say it...but some of these guys are better athletes than some "able-bodied" athletes. One day when you are bored...go put a chair under a basketball hoop and take a shot and see how hard it really is. "You've got no hops" and you don't have the correct momentum! Not to mention the strength that you must have! Again...you just have to see it to fully understand what I am talking about!
The kids loved it and got a kick out of how they "crashed" into each other! (gotta see it to believe it) Carter sat by my side so intrigued, which made me happy, and Kindra, the chatter-box, ran up and down the side of the court and asked them a million questions at every break! Pretty funny actually!
If you go to ksl.com...search for "Utah Wheelin' Jazz basketball"... it will pull up an article that they did and you will be able to see a video of them actually playing :) I can also tell you when and where their practices are if you'd like to go check them out first hand!



















7 comments:
You better get someone to take a picture of you playing. I would love to see the "baller" in action again.
Way to go Katie! You never stop doing things and I love it! Most people assume that you "can't" doing anything but whatever! I love all the things you do!! Keep it up!
You are so awesome Katie Lou!!! I could totally see you playing ball. I would come and watch you play (especially now that i am moving back!!!). Love ya!
Good for you getting back into the game. You should let us know when you play so we can come cheer you on.
Way to go Katie! I have tried the sitting and throwing thing before...it is SOOOOO hard! If you don't have upper body strength then you can't even come close to the hoop! It's quite amazing actually watching a "wheelin" game (I've only seen it on TV before) because, like you said, there are a whole different set of "rules and logic" that need to take place. I respect anyone who can do such things. I AM "able-bodied" and I still don't do anything, pretty wasteful now that I think about it.
Good luck with the practices. I'm sure you will do awesome. You are in SUCH great shape!
Hey Katie,
This is Layne, coach of the Wheelin' Jazz. You are definatly welcome to practice with us anytime. Some of the best teams in the country have women players that are quite good. The Chicago Bulls, ranked #9. The Champaign Fire has 2 females, one of which was the MVP in their regional this year. Come on out and play.
Post a Comment