Thursday, July 31, 2008

2 Utah Originals That You Can't Live A Summer Without!

Since the summer is quickly coming to an end, the past few weeks have been spent on the 2 activities that have to be "done" if you're to say that you are a true Utah native!!!
1. Seven Peaks Water Resort
2. Lagoon Amusement Park
Now, if you'd like to dispute this...think of how many memories that you have of these places and realize that there is no way that you can shelter you kids from having some of their own!
TRUUUUUUE! VERY TRUUUUUUE!
From concerns expressed in some previous posts, you may know of my "lack of control" fears that I have at pool/water places so it was calming when we were able to make Seven Peaks a family affair.

Katie and Jenny laying out...does this surprise you?!? :) and yes...we are sweating to death!
John-Charles still loves to go on the big slides which made it a perfect job for him to coordinate taking my two who were "over" the little kid slides. This is pretty much a picture of how the afternoon went down...Carter pulling him as he was convincing Kindra to come along!
Seven Peaks was an adventure! My sis-in-law has a summer pass to Seven Peaks and thought that it would be easy to keep an eye on the kids as they played in the "kid area". She wanted me to buy a pass too! No way in hell would I subject myself to that torture!!! My kids are too big for me to contain! All they wanted to do was to go on the slides that I of course can't get to :( so unless I am willing to pay someone to tag along with them, it's a no go :) Fine...I will admit that I'm not too upset about this one! hehehe

My Dad has been with OC Tanner for 27 years so it's safe to say that I have some great "Company Lagoon Day" memories!
It was always the most anticipated event and I never understood why our parents were not as excited as us kids were until I became a parent myself, placed in the same situation. Heat and waiting in lines are never a good combo!
I put on my happy good attitude face and off we went for our big Lagoon Day adventure...
Again this became a family affair which made it even that much more hilarious!
Carter waiting in the oldest ride ever at Lagoon..."Dracula's Castle". Kindra was so upset because there had been a haunted horse and "horses aren't haunted"!
After the first year that we had taken Kindra to Lagoon, every time that we smelled the "smell of Lagoon" she would say "Mom, it smells like Lagoon" which made me snicker every time. Surprising how smart that kids can be and of what they can put together, huh?!?
Everyone knows that I love my Dad, but I love him even more after activities like this. He was such the trooper and helped me out sooooo much by going on the rides with the kids!







...so here's another memory...when we lived in Toronto, there was the best amusement park named "Canada's Wonderland". It was awesome and along the same lines as like a Busch Gardens...WAY BETTER than a Disneyland though (or a Lagoon!?!) They had the best ride named "The Bat" that was our favorite. Every year my Dad would play the "shoot the basketball" game and win us a basketball without fail.
One year as we stopped to play, my little sister Lyssa, didn't realize that we had and just kept on walking. My Mom immediately noticed since one of her matching clothes children was missing and the panic began. Remember...this is a huge, ginormous theme park so the overwhelming fear set in. It still brings tears to my eyes as I think about that moment. I was 11 yrs old and understood that my 5 yr old sister was missing and what the possibilities were. I kept the rest of my siblings by a bench and began yelling, screaming, crying. "Lyssa!...Lyssa!...Lyssa!" I've never prayed for something so hard...for my sister to be found. They shut down the park and began the search. To remember what my thoughts were, I can only imagine what my parents were feeling! It seemed like forever but 35 minutes later I saw my Dad walking back towards us clinging on to my sister! My Mom came back and we sat for a moment and cried as a family. Blessings unfortunately are recognized in the worst ways. Needless to say, we did not get a basketball that year...I love you, Lyssa!
...you can not go over to the "Pioneer Country" and not have one of the famous ice cream cones! When I was a child, in the town square, every hour they would have a "wild west gun show" going on that we would love to go and watch. They don't do it anymore boooooooo!!!
Our most favorite rides at Lagoon are the "Log Ride" and the "River Raft Adventure". The only thing that sucks is the wetness that you must go through for the rest of the day after you get soaked...but we always give in! It's just what you do at Lagoon :)




...yes...Natalie did not...did not want to get her hair wet so she threw her own child out to block the water and it worked...Abbi got soaked and Natalie did not! :)
...me and my family...not so much...we got soaked...COMPLETELY SOAKED!!!


...they thought that they were so tricky and hilarious!


Here we are...one sopping wet happy family. Not really because Carter can not stand to have wet clothes on and I can not stand having to sit on a wet butt that will not get dry n the air!
With that being the way that we felt...we decided that it was time to go home :)
Fun activities, Seven Peaks and Lagoon, and I'm glad that we did them but I am soooo relieved that I don't have to worry about these places for a whole other year! hehehe just being honest...

9 comments:

Ingersoll Family said...

Wow...great minds think alike. I am so happy to be involved in your life and you in mine...even if it is through blogging. Please keep in contact and lets get a bite one of these days...Love ya, Monica

Anonymous said...

It was so good to hear from you and find your blog Katie! I can't believe how big YOUR kids are now and what an active, fun mom you are. I just don't know how you do it! So we're all coming out on Aug.9th for Bethany's wedding. We look forward to seeing you at the festivities.
Nathan and Alissa

Amanda said...

Man. you're a die-hard. That's a whole lotta Utah fun to have so close together! I can't set foot in Lagoon when it's this hot, and my little family can't handle Seven Peaks yet, but now I know who to call when we're ready to hit them both.

Lyssa Beth said...

This post is classic in so many ways...It is so true about 7 peaks and lagoon. They are a summer must in Utah. Glad you had family support when going there. I can't imagine going solo with my 2 kids but definately in your case!! But those two are so big!!
And thanks for the walk down memory lane. I didn't know they closed down the park! But I do remember looking around and being completely alone...then I started crying. Knowing what I know now, I was seriously watched over by Angels that day. How lucky am I that a security guard found me and not some molester?! Geez, I can't even imagine. I'm so glad that everything turned out okay. But seriuosly, I think everything scary happened to me!

The Brockbanks said...

Amen sista! I totally agree, Lagoon and Seven Peaks, a love hate relationship!! I have great childhood memories of both. I want to take my kids but then I remember how much work it is. Bart hates Lagoon but I think I have talked him into it for my birthday. We will see how that goes. You have renewed my faith, I think I can do it. I loved all of your cute pictures. (P.S. Don't slow down the blogging. I will get hate mail from all of your fans. You don't do it too much. You are a great mom. I was just getting out of control!)

Sharp family said...

You are a better mom than I! I haven't done either! SHHHH! don't tell my kids they have not brought it up yet this year! I have to addmit your pictures made both look pretty fun.

Ali said...

I didn't even grow up in Utah and I have fond memories of going to Lagoon. That is what happens when all your summer vacations become a visit to family in Utah. Fun memories though. Looks like you all had a great time!

The Blaisdell Family said...

That looks like such a fun day! I love places like that. We would do company work parties in MN at "valleyfair" and I agree, I can now see what my parents suffered through so we could be happy:)

Scary about little Lyssa. Glad nothing happened to her either. I wouldn't have one of the greatest friends I've ever had!!!

Sorry you got so wet, even though I'm sure it gave everyone a good laugh. I would be ready to head home too. Don't like wet clothes like that either! GROSS.

Can you believe summer is almost over??

Charakie said...

I'm surprised you had the energy to take them to lagoon after you took them to the A.F. carnival! Had I decided to tackle the carnival this year...it would have been enough of an amusement park to last me a few years. I haven't done lagoon or seven peaks this summer...it's time!