The other night, as I was talking with my family and laughing hysterically, I realized just how many memories are stored in my brain but that have been "temporarily forgotten".
Though at times I curse my family and wish them to be as far from me as possible, they really are my favorite people to be around! We have all become best-friends which is something that makes our parents extremely proud. We were raised to know that the family should be the most important thing in our lives. We grew up seeing the difference between a family that was close versus a family that was not with our own parents immediate families being our example. The love, the joy, the communication, the honesty, and the devotion within the close family made it something that we knew we'd want later as we grew to have our own families.
I have come to recognize that our family actually does do "a lot together" more than most other families do. Now whether this is good/bad or right/wrong I don't know or really care but I love that it is what we do!
There is nothing better than a night full of family reminiscing and being our obnoxious selves. I can always expect to laugh my ace off when they're around! I love that we all just "get" each other because that is a rare thing to find. Believe me...I know! Luckily for the current or soon to be in-laws, they've been accepted into the "club" but that's not always the case! My first choice in hubby's was not so fortunate. My family "liked" him but he just did not get, or care to get, our jokes, quotes, love for movies, memories, etc.etc.
Case in point....I just got off the phone with my sister and we were talking about something in which she replied "I've just made a huge mistake". Now some people would take that as her simple reply but I took it for what she meant it to be...a quote from the funniest secret sitcom ever...Arrested Development. We had a good laugh about the certain episode that the quote had come from and moved on. Hilarious to some but annoying to others and to those others, I'll just simply throw out a huge head shake and simply "roll" away :)
Because of the other night's conversation, it made me want to start writing some of these memories down. Every one's views are different and we all have our own take on the situation so it's nice to have them jotted down so that they won't ever be forgotten.
I had a great childhood with great parents who made sure that we were always doing the most that we possibly could. They always made sure that they were included and involved with all that we were doing.
Every year within our church group, there was a lip sync that we did. It had become quite the competition between a few of the families and we were constantly trying to out-do each other. I will never forget the year that my Mom found some random song called "Big Big Booger Picking On Me"? Where she found it and whether I got the name exactly right, I don't know but it was perfect. We headed down to my Dad's back warehouse that he had at his company and began our project. We traced, colored, cut, and assembled a huge leg/foot/shoes. As we lip synced, my parents hid behind the "stumps" and kicked us throughout the song. We got a good cheer and we even took 1st place that year. So much fun! It is one of those random memories that reinforce the fact that my parents where really "in it" and were as involved as they possibly could be.
I have always been very athletic and this love began when we moved to Toronto. They have a great school system and athletic program there and they get you started as early as they can. Football is not as big there but hockey, cross country, track and field, basketball, lacrosse, and soccer are the sports to be involved in. I began running, participating in high jump, and playing basketball once I realized that these programs were offered. I found my love for running and participated in cross county, long distances, and long distance relays. Without fail, my Dad was there cheering me on and right there to congratulate me as I crossed the finish line. That is where and why the #2 became my lucky number. In all of my single races I finished second always right behind Becky Lafroy who attended a different school. I remember being so proud when they did the assembly at school to announce who the winners had been. I loved hearing my name called out and my plaque being put up.
My favorite place that we had our running meets at was a park named Loweville Park and it was about 20 minutes away from our home in Burlington. Growing up we would also go there as a family and it is somewhere that I have very fond and vivid memories of. The last time I visited Toronto, I made sure to go there and to walk a little down memory lane.
I realize that I may be rambling a bit but I am allowing myself to write as I think. Like I said in the beginning of this post, there are many memories that I have. Memories that have been stored away in my mind, waiting to be retrieved or to be told. I've decided that I want my children to really know who their mom is and of where it is that she came from.
So sorry for those who have been bored...until next time.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



















7 comments:
You know, it's amazing how when your kids, your parents just keep telling you "can't you guys just get along?" Now as adults you are all just the best of friends. It's awesome. I love my sisters and they are seriously some of my best friends. Life is too short to not remember the things that happen and those memories go with us when we go. My mom wasn't a big journal keeper and there are a lot of things that I wish I knew about in her life that I don't. (That's why blogging is so great :) I'm sure your love for running will return even more -- it probably hasn't left -- as you continue on with your marathon training. It is a super emotional thing and a huge accomplishment. Let me know when it is and where I would love to do it with you or if I'm too lazy to do another one, I'll cheer you on. That was a huge help seeing signs with my name on it saying you can do it. On a separate note, which you probably know already, my dad told me that Weston's older brother Ricky passed away today. Thought you might want to know.
I love those reminiscing times. I love that you have so many good memories of your childhood!! I think i also block out a lot of things and it is the best to bring it all back to the surface. I love that you and your siblings have all come together now that you are older and that you "get" each other. Maybe one day for my fam?!! In a weird way - though- i too feel like the older we get (in my fam) the more we are coming together as well. Anyway- nice thoughts!
BTW- what night are we going to dinner- i am open this week or next? And what are you doign wednesday this week for playdate? Let me know!
Lets be honest - I stopped reading 3 sentences in hahaha! You bloggers are crazy.......you love me! I'm booking a flight for September so plan your trip here soon!
I want nothing more than I want my kids to be close when they grow up. I want them to depend upon each other and protect each other and love each other. I have one sib, a sister, and we get in one big fight almost every year, but I can't imagine life without her. Family. It's as wonderful as every Mormonad ever claimed!
oh I remember those times! We really do have a close-knit family and I love it. NOw that I am exposed to other people's families, I realize how great our family's relationship really is and how important it is. Now I need to be the strong one in my own family to continue the tradition.
Like I said before you are the best blogger! You are going to have one amazing journal for your kids to look at when they are older!!!
caught me!!! I'm looking.
Post a Comment