
I am warning you before I start this post, that it's a long one. Lyssa & Jenny...this one is mostly for you since you were not with us but this new family tradition was hilarious so I just had to share :)

Grandma and Grandpa Terry (my parents) decided that they wanted to add a new tradition to the 4
th of July activities. We already host the
Sainsbury side family party on the day of the 4
th, but my parents want to start doing something fun for the grand kids. From now on, they are going to have a big "camp out" down in the backyard the night before. This was the first year that they did it and it was
alot of fun! I love watching the cousins interact and I know that memories are being made. These are also the moments that we really miss the
Zimmermans (my sis Lyssa and her family who live in
Tx) and this year we also missed my other sis, Jenny (who was in Co with her man)



It was so funny because Carter could not wait to get the tent up so that he could mark his territory with his sleeping bag...

Grandpa could not pass up giving his "this is how to" lesson to
Kindra about how to correctly build the fire.


My parents have the best yard ever that we have put
alot of hours into...both creating and using as we were growing up.
Sorries go out to the rest of the Terry family because I have already put dibs on our parents yard when they "pass over to the other side". Even though we were joking around, I think that I've got a good chance of this actually happening. My parents will never move so I will just have to knock down their house and build my own. The yard is worth it! Since I am the oldest...I've got first right so back off everyone!!! :)
Kindra lucked out and she got to sleep in her own tent since I knew that the sleep factor was going to come in handy the next day. In other words, I went home and slept in my own comfortable bed...he he he

...the view of Lone Peak from their backyard...

Growing up we were continually harassed by my father about knowing the correct way to start a fire. "This is what you do...this is what you don't do". However, the lessons were never remembered. Miraculously none of us died. Many tree explosions went down in this fire pit. Many flame jumping competitions were seen. Many near death experiences were seen.
Flash forward to the present day. My Dad put together paper, wood, kindling. etc but what do you think he told my Mom he was running up to the garage to get? That would be what he called "some fire
accelerant" aka GASOLINE! He will never live this event down! He did exactly what he has told us to NEVER do! He even started the grass on fire! I caught the perfect pic of him almost singeing his eyebrows...seriously!


It's time for
SMORES...line up everyone but not without the "how to" lesson from Grandpa...


...and now for a lesson from Mom... "I am way too impatient so I just place them in the flame, pull back a fireball, blow it off, and pull them off. YUM." So much easier...



This is exactly why I am not a fan of "the
Smore concept". Way too messy! BOO to me, I know, but still....





Time for bed...My brothers, Michael and John-Charles, were the "adults of the night" in charge of my kids. (since I weaseled off to my soft bed. he he he) Jake, Nat, Colin, and Abbi camped out too so they were one big happy family!



The next day, we put the tents away, Grandma made us breakfast, and we got ready for the annual "river rafting" adventure. In the back of my parents property is an irrigation creek that we grew up using as our own personal entertainment. We would jump IN a raft and would float down to the end of the street and run back to do it all over again. I emphasize the word IN because that way we would not freeze to death. That water is
freeeezing!


...Jake's personal changing area....

I love these 2! They are punks to each other and all that my Mom asked for was "For one day, can you two just be nice to each other both in words and in deeds". We laughed hard at that one. Impossible! They love each other and are not really mean but they love to give each other a hard time...PUNKS! Only the brothers were going to get in the water with the kids this year...and our rafts were flat...so we pulled out some other floatation devices...but they allowed you to get wet. Freezing remember! Notice the garbage bags that he taped to his legs to act as a wet suit. What do you think about their retro, old school swimming shorts!!! Such retards!

...in line to take the plunge...

...notice the sheer panic on my brothers face as he is shoving the kids aside just to get out! Quote..."It hurts so bad! My bones are aching because that water is so
f'in cold!"(once the kids are out of hearing range, ofcourse)

They decided to walk the kids down from one end of the yard to the other. The more they did it, the easier it got. Yeah!!! because their legs became numb!!!



Now...it can not be a true Terry family event if there is not some sort of bet or dare usually given and it's usually given by me! I am really, really good at coming up with some good ones! "I will give you each $$$ if you can become fully immersed in the water!" They did it and here's the proof....Michael was the only one who knew that the $$$ was
sooooo not worth it!


Kindra and I getting ready to head back over to my parents for their usual 4
th of July party...

...John-Charles and Colin eating some grub...

I am not a huge fireworks fan. My motto...You've seen one firework, you've seen 'em all! Of course I can handle the little "family driveway show" so I took the kids up to
Trevor's parents home to hang out with their cousins who are visiting from
Az.

Kindra, Carter, Jack, and Carson




Carter is the best "cleaner upper" in the whole, entire world!
Overall...such a fun day...long...but way fun! Like I said before...this was going to be a long post but that it was mostly for those who were not able to be there. We missed you and hope that your day was as grrrrreat as ours :)
11 comments:
Seriously! that looked so much fun. Even though I had the best week ever with Stewart...I'm so sad I missed the first year of the new family traditions! I'm so excited to hear all about it from the kids.
I was laughing almost the entire time reading this. Siblings just talk to each other different, so when you were making comments about your brothers it just made me laugh.
We pretty much had the same weekend didn't we? It was fun and I really enjoyed sleeping in my own bed too. :) Such party poopers aren't we?
And I agree about s'mores...love them but they are the messiest dessert out there I swear!
Your parents do have a pretty awesome yard! Love how you threatened everyone. You are so funny Katie.
That picture with Kindra "listening" to gpa. about fires cracked me up too. I'm sure in her head she's thinking...blah, blah, blah, just get it started dude!
And I would be like Carter, you have to stake out your spot in the tent early. Smart kid!!!
where've i BEEN?! i missed, like, three posts! but these are such a treasure to read {and see!} all at once.
you look so gorgeous and tan...and i love the pics of kindra with your dad and the fire. her little shoulders look soooo "i have to pretend to listen so we can get to the good stuff! like, s'mores!"
very sweet.
and who's dave? he's lovely. that all looked like a ton of fun...
Looks like heaven!!! What a great way to spend the Holiday... And I might add that your parents yard looks like so much fun!
Holy Smokes! This is the most celebrationy-celebration I've seen in a long while! What a fun family you have, and that monster tent is a dream.
so san diego looked like a blast. So DAve is?... I went and saw wicked last October, it is the best, you know it's coming to salt lake next year?
Looks like so much fun.
Your brother's swimsuits and wetsuits are the best.
K hilarious in every way and not so hilarious that I missed it all! Reading this made me want to move to UT right now! I love all the Terry laughs and all the classic inside jokes. I can't believe they actually did a push up in the water! How much did you give them?
Oh and I called you back and no answer!!!wha wha
Can I be invited next year? You and your siblings are hilarious, your brothers crack me up- where to begin: from their old school swim trunks to their "wet suits" for legs, to submerging themselves on a bet, SO funny! I'm sure they've learned from a great example/older sister:) Love the picture of your dad getting his eyebrows cinged- if they're really gone I'll chop off some of my hair to donate for new eyebrows to be made, let me know:) See you on WEDNESDAY!
So fun...I am sorry I haven't commented on your blog yet, but your family is so cute. You have two children...yes? I am so happy you found my blog. Keep in touch and if you ever want to hang out with the kids just give me a call, we are in the book.
I love July 4th. It has actually always been my favorite holiday. It is good your fam still does their traditions. looks likes fun.
Post a Comment