"This is for you Mom. This is a picture of you when you were walking. It's beautiful isn't it?"
This is not the first time that we have talked about this issue. For some reason she is obsessed with knowing or worrying about what I was like "when you were walking".
I was surprised the first time that she brought it up since I'd never had to talk to Carter about it. I forget that they don't know...they don't remember. I sat them down and went over the accident and what had happened and what was now wrong. Carter accepted it and doesn't really act like it's a big deal. But it bothers Kindra and it makes her sad for me because I am "broken". She is also sad because I can not "run, jump, gallop, or hop".
Now this is exactly why I do everything that I possibly can so that I can say "You're right. I can't do this, this, or this but I can do this, this, and this." I have said it a million times...the situation sucks but it is what it is and I am going to be as positive as I possibly can. I don't want my kids to think that I've ever given up....as hard as that is I won't!
"Well when are you going to walk and get rid of that wheelchair?" (this always pulls at my heart strings when she says this ending it with one of her sad sighs)
"Soon Kindra. I hope very soon", I say....



















6 comments:
Oh Katie, that would be so hard and trying to have to go through that all the time to sweet Kindra..but you just be the positive girl that you are!! It'll be fine. You are a great example to them so you dont need to worry.
Well. I'm a little choked up. From the mouths of babes, right? Doesn't it just hurt like crazy when you see your kids hurting for you? It's so unnatural for a parent. And K, if there were medals for being positive, medals for picking up and moving on, medals for best attitude... well, you'd never be at a loss for jewelry.
You are amazing!!! i love to come to your blog! We need to catch up and get together! And we need to get all over Jen cause she needs to get back on top of it!
Kids are so intuitive. It's amazing to me how thoughtful and loving they can be and how concerned they can get over things you don't realize they think about. I'm sure Kindra will learn so much from the amazing example you are. ;)
How sweet is that? I love her.
Ok so a little choked up too. That is one thing about kids, they are so truthful. But what a way to be. I have had to explain some very difficult things to my kids also and it is hard to shatter their perfect little world and show that things aren't always fair. It is hard to admit to them that we all have struggles in life. Katie you may not want to admit it, but you are one of the best people I know. You simply amaze me. Not for the things you can do(or can't for that matter) but just for simply being you.
Post a Comment