Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Memory Thursday---What does it mean to you to be a true friend and have you ever been betrayed by your best-friend?

I have had this topic of conversation a lot lately with a few of my friends. Granted, some friends change here and there depending on your time and season. I think that we all get from each other what we need at certain times of our lives depending on what we are going through. I would have to say that my best gal pals are those that I have met later on in life like after my "high school life". I still have a few friends from high school that are also friends who have matured and have found a secure place in their lives. That is the only reason and why that we are still friends...the fact that we can "really" be our "true" selves without feeling wrong/stupid/embarrassed for doing so.

It's a two way street. I invite them for get togethers, movie nights, and lunch dates. They call and invite me for get togethers, movie nights, and lunch dates. It's not just one sided and it's not fake hangout activities. They are not building up things in their minds to talk shi about as soon as you get out of the car. They really see me for me and I see them for them. Finally I have friends who accept what I bring to the friendship table and honestly take it or leave it. They don't just put you into the place that you use to belong in. With my group of college friends, I do have "my place" but it's a healthy place and it's a fun place.

I was betrayed once by those whom I considered to be my best friends and over exactly what, I honestly don't know. There are always two sides to every story but the issue just got all confused, mis-communicated, prideful, and over absolutely nothing. Those friends were very important to me and we did everything that was important in our lives together. Somehow, things ended up being portrayed completely different than what they actually were. I still get confused about what really happened because it doesn't make sense. Even if we tried to "fix" the friendship, I know it can really never be the same. Too many things were said that I don't think that we'll ever forget.

I've realized that I've got some true/real/best friends out there who value my friendship just as much as I value theirs. These friendships are built more on trust, self-security, loyalty and unselfishness. Looking back, thinking about the friends that I've had, shows me what it's like to REALLY be a friend (and of the times that I've not been!) and of the ways that I need to act in the future. PHEW!!! What a learning experience it's been :)

No comments: