Monday, August 4, 2008

"You Know?....I Could Make That."

I have very many memories of my Mom the seamstress...both good and bad! She made clothes for me all of the time when I was younger...she made all of my sisters dance/prom/wedding dresses...she made all of the dresses for my wedding (except for mine)...she makes the kids' Halloween costumes every year...she loves, loves, loves to sew and to buy new material all of the time :)

I have a cousin who is my age who would always express her envy of my sewn clothes because her mother could not sew and yet I was envious of her store bought clothes! The grass is always greener on the other side :(

Don't get me wrong...I knew how lucky that I should be but I was just so, so, so sick of going shopping with my Mom and hear "You know?...I could make that! Do you know how easy that would be for me to sew?" HATED IT! Notice that my Mom did not sew any of my dresses in High school?!? I was so prideful that I did not want to give her the satisfaction! How stupid was I? As I see the gorgeous dresses that my sisters have...oh how dumb was I? But back then that was the last thing that I'd wanted!!!

I will, still to this day, laugh because I use to give my Mom a hard time that she was obsessed with collecting material just to sit and stare at...not to sew with because she had/has loads of it...and I mean LOADS!
So when I expressed the need to plan a time to take Kindra school shopping...guess what was my Mom's request?!? "Oh, can I make her some outfits?" Finally after 25 years of trying to stop her sewing obsession, I finally said "Sure Mom! I'd love that."

Fine...I also saw the $$$$ amounts that I would be saving as we used some of her "collected" material! :)

It took her less than 15 hours to pull down and put together some possible material for us to look at because she was so excited?!?

Whatever floats her boat right??? Thanks Mom...we can hardly wait!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still jealous about the sewing!!

Amanda said...

FUN! I sewed and took classes for years when I was younger, and my mom's giving me a sewing machine for my bday this year; I am fired up and ready to get my creative juice on.

Charakie said...

OK...it's time for Ann to give me a lesson on sewing! I want to make my kids Halloween costumes but I don't even know how to thread a machine. It's not likely she's even up for a challenge like that...and I assure you it would be nothing less :) The only memories I have of my mom sewing my clothes are these awful bermuda shorts she made for me. After that, the damage was done and I never wanted to learn how to make something so horrible. So funny!

Brenda B said...

How fun! I have fond memories of my grandmother at the sewing machine. Post pics of the outfits! I think homemade clothing can be so cute.....especially for kids.