Have you ever been driving down a road that you have driven on a million times and you finally "see" something for the first time? You notice a tree, or a house color, or a building, or a whatever that you finally see for what it is instead of just being "the blob" that you've driven by a million times. Do you know what I mean?( I hope that I am not the only one who does this?!? )
Today I was going crazy and felt a little cooped up in the house so I suggested a bike ride. We began our usual route...down to The Garretts, up to "the old ladies house", over to "The Secret Garden", hanging out for a while there, and then back home again. As we were headed out of the driveway, Carter looked down the road in the other direction and adventurously suggested, "Mom! Can we please go down around the other way?"
I've always wondered why my kids are so routined and then I look in the mirror and remember who their Mom is. I have taught myself that the more rountined we are, the easier it ends up being! I know...pathetically wussy. I am only this way when it comes to the kids probably because of the ability to maintain more control but still...
So I thought about Carter's request, took a deep breath, and said "Sure."
Once we got to our destination, we just kept going. I was actually enjoying myself as I was able to take the time to look at what we were walking by. I never actually look...I just drive. I noticed the odd lawn decor. I noticed the bad paint job on the garage. I noticed the soda-pop machine that is hidden on the side of the house. I noticed the extremely old body styles of cars owned by the extremely old and wealthy neighbors. I noticed the opening in the fence that allows you to get to the top of the hill which is at Evergreen Park. I noticed a lot of new-old things.
It was a definite eye opening reminder at how "tunnel visioned" and ignorant I can be...even when I don't mean for it to happen. I get so caught up in my own world that I don't allow myself to ever enjoy or to breath or to see. It was only after I allowed myself to have a little more courage and then to calmly take it all in, that I "noticed" things that I've driven by my whole life.
I was reminded today of a few things...to branch out and to take hold...to calm down a bit...to take the time to look and to recognize...that I always learn when I try something new. Simple ideas but ones that I often forget.
I can not believe that the summer break will be over in 10 days. Today made me sad realizing that our little adventures are almost over. No matter how ready I am for it to happen, I will miss my 2 little devils when they start back at school! :(



















2 comments:
Diddo to summer ending! You always give such good insight on life, it's always so nice to have gentle reminders here and there! Love the picture you used, I thought that was really what you saw today:) (That's my dream driveway leading up to my dream home) And as far as your mom sewing, she and my mom otta get together for a sewing fest or fabric swap!
I TOTALLY know what you mean. Sometimes if you take the time, you notice so many things. It is such an eye opener. I know, i cant believe summer is over soon!!
Post a Comment