Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Interesting Wedding Thoughts?!?

Within our family, starting with Bethany's wedding, there will be a wedding in August, September, October, November, December, & January. They've all reached their own "fairy tale" as Bethany likes to put it.

It was hard for me to believe that Bethany was getting married when I'd heard the announcement. She is still "little Bethany" in my mind.

This is a picture of Melissa (her sister) and I at the shower that they did for her. It reminded us of just how old that we really are! We are 11 years older than Bethany :(

Melissa and I were "best cousins" growing up. That was my favorite part about when we'd come back to Utah for the summers while we lived in Toronto...getting to have numerous adventures and sleepovers with Melissa. We'd trade clothes, books, makeup, and anything else that we could think of.
The first real vacation that I can remember was one that I took with my Grandma S. and my aunt Emily up to Oregon to visit the Browns. I remember throwing GI Joe parachute guys off of their landing and of sleeping in their upstairs toy room. I admitted it years later but that was also the trip that I'd killed their pet goldfish because I'd fed it too much...hehehe :) oops!

Our Mom's are sisters so we did alot together as we grew up before our families both moved away. I even remember the day that we did these pictures. We went to the University mall and did them. See the clip in my hair? I had lost it just before but my Mom did a massive search of the car and luckily found it in time :) Katie and Melissa...we were the 2 little flower girls at all of the family weddings...



Bethany looked absolutely gorgeous!! Now it's Kay (Melissa's) and Samantha (Alissa's) turn to be the 2 little flower girls...
Our lives have all gone in different directions so it was so fun to see everyone. As often as we say that we'll get together, it's so hard to actually do it.
L to R - Claire (Adam B), Alissa (Nathan B), Lauren B, me, and Melissa B (Tom M)

Now this is where it gets a little too honest and negative so I'll apologize before hand...


I'll be real. I shed some selfish tears during the ceremony. Not tears of joy for Bethany (though I am so excited and happy for her) but tears of sadness for me. At one point I remember looking up at that same ceiling, smiling, and thinking "Maybe soon?!?" I was in a relationship that I felt I knew was right and that I thought would be the one. So the other day, my thoughts went back to that. Now whether the relationship should have worked out or not, the question "why" and the confusion still comes to mind. In my mind it all made sense for it to last and did not make sense for it to be over. Even though I now know that it all worked out the way it should have, the sadness is still there because I still lost and miss a best-friend. As in control I am with certain aspects of my life, I still get lonely. I'm not in control when it comes to that side of life. Call me pathetic for admitting this. For admitting that I'm not so tough all the time but come on...I'm allowed to feel sorry for myself every now and then especially when the questions why and when are so apparent in my mind!

So basically I was feeling a little sorry for myself. I went out and did the picture thing and then made it over to The Gateway. After finding a few smile worthy items at Anthropologie, made it back to ??? ?????? ????? ???????? (I am not saying so as to not ruin it's name) for the wedding luncheon. Once I found out that the only way to get to the room was through an elevator that was hidden in the back kitchen, I was starting to become annoyed again. I sat down at my place, put down my purse, and requested the directions to the restroom. "Oh...the restroom? Well you have to go outside in the heat and clear around the building to the other side." (I wish that I was kidding) I put on a smile and made my trek over to the restroom. It gets even better. I went into the restroom and did not see the "handicap" stall. I wanted to start crying not to mention the heat and stress sweat that was forming on my forehead. I found someone and asked them what the deal was?!? "Down the hall a bit further in a special stall room". Whatever...a special stall??? I opened the door, threw up in my mouth, and knew that something was not right. I looked at the toilet and when I saw what was there, looked up into the sky and that morning asked another "why?". I was either going to cry or to laugh so I threw out a fuuuuu and just started to laugh as I began to clean since it was the only toilet for me to use :( As disgusting as it was, I had to take a picture because I knew that my family would never believe me when I told them!

Quoting my friend Alice, this is a comment that has all ready become known as a classic but that will now have a greater meaning "I'm serious! I can't make this shit up!"

I dealt with it. Had a good laugh with the rest of the group that was at my table and got suggestions on what to put in the letter that I should write. I'll keep you posted on that one...



Later that night, I made it over to the reception which turned out gorgeous but I'm not surprised! The Brown's can't do anything but gorgeous and perfect! Here is a picture of Alissa, me, and Melissa. Alissa married Melissa's brother-my cuz Nathan and they live in Arkansas so it was great to see them!

Overall, a day full of alot of different emotions that were both good and bad but a great family get together as usual.

Congratulations again to Jake and Bethany!

And I learned that it's time I came to terms with the whole wedding situation since the next one will be for one of my BFS's and then the next for one of my BFB's :( Actually don't remind me. I'm beginning to have a panic attack because when I think about it, I realize I'm not quite there yet!!!! Oh Sh@*.... Crying...Tears...Here we go again!!! :(

7 comments:

Hillery said...

'Tis the season for weddings I guess! We're all about the baby showers here! I love me a good wedding. I'm jealous!

Mistie said...

I'm sorry you had a somewhat bad day. I think it is totally healthy to have those break down moments...but i still feel bad. I don't think you are selfish either. And that toilet was disgusting!!! I am so happy you always carry a camera...you make me laugh! I can just hear your thought process of...this would be a great blog page!

Amanda said...

You know, the one thing I think we all have in common in this human experience is to want what we don't have and to wonder why it comes so easily to others. I feel that all the time - not about marriage or family, but other things. I can get easily caught up in all the reasons it's unfair, why it shouldn't have worked out this way, why my life would be perfect if just _____ would happen. So I sympathize with you, because I understand that longing.

My advice? Do I have any? This is still something I struggle with, but I do believe that life and God combine to create sort of a "forger's fire" and all we go without, go through, struggle with are in either this life or the next, teaching us lessons. I'm finding that often the lesson has little to do with the actual experience - sometimes they're completely unrelated, but I realize the lesson was the gift, not necessarily the way it was delivered (the experience)

And on another note, report that place to OSHA or whomever is in charge of not letting public places be a -holes!

Lyssa Beth said...

I think I vomited in my mouth too when I both read and saw what you saw...EWW I can't believe that. You HAVE to sue that reception house...Anyways, Bethany was beautiful and did she paint that thing herself?!
Katie, i'm sorry you have to go through this right now alone, I honestly feel that you will get your chance again. But then again, I dont know what Heavenly Father has in store for you. Maybe right now isn't the right time. But what I do know is that as long as you are doing the best that you can on what you should be doing, then there is no need to fear. Trust in the Lord and know that He loves you and will always do what is best for you, even when we think it's not! I love you Katrina :)

Ashlee said...

Oh sweet Katie. That toilet looks like something straight from the Cedar Fort Country Store -- GROSS!
Just know that Heavenly Father knows our hearts, knows our desires and know what we need to make us strong. You are an amazing person and He knows that and knows that your time will come again. The hard part is wanting it right now (as we've discussed before) and on our time table. One thing that I have found with having a blog and sometimes writing personal feelings is that it gives you a place to seek advice from others that may have something worthwhile to offer. I'm not sure that I do that for you, but I will be honest in saying that you do that for me. You are an inspiration and I'm sure it gets old being the strong one all the time, but you are a great example to me. Thx.

Brown Family said...

Katie, your blog is one of the most entertaining I've found! So I'm sorry that you had to go through that ugly bathroom ordeal at the wedding. Weddings aren't always so easy to take. I'm learning never to compare myself or my situation with that of others right now. It has made me a lot happier. I'm sure you already know that. It was so good to see you and yes, I'd say that we all look like BABES in our photos. Who said you can't look better in your 30s than in your 20s? You're hot! So have a great day. It's so fun to chat with you.
Alissa

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I loved re-living the memories of when we were little! Remember Snelgroves and the jelly bracelets? Remember singing the Oldsmobile song in Grandma Sainsbury's car? Remember whistling at the missionaries when we'd drive by the MTC when we were 9? Ahh, the good old days.