Sunday, December 23, 2007

More Memories...

I was in the 7th grade, so that would have been the Christmas of 1989 if my math is correct. That is when my Mom and I first discovered our love and obsession for shopping...especially if it is together. That was the first Christmas that I knew what all of my presents were before I opened them. The Burlington Mall was closing out a store...Brooks...and I am not sure if that is the same as the American store so we decided to help them out with their closing. In Canada there was a popular shoe named "Tretorns" and it was really big when I was that age. I loved them and still do. I actually found some in the Garnett Hill catalogue and bought them. Anyway, back to my story...I bought 3 pairs of Tretorns, 1 pair of Penny Loafers, which were also the thing to own, some cute button down shirts, and some athletic clothes. I also went over to Roots and bought a few pairs of their ever so comfortable jogging pants which I loved! I got the "Bobby Brown" and "Paula Abdul" tapes and some other random gifts but I do remember the feeling I felt after I opened all of my gifts...SADNESS...I did not have any surprises like my parents usually made sure that we had and it made me unhappy. It once again goes back to one of my favorite statements...Ignorance is Bliss...but it was my own fault. My Mom and I had a lot of fun but I still realized how fun those surprises are! I expressed this to my Mom and she felt so sorry even though it was not her fault but since that year, even to this day, those surprises are still there. Think about it...those times are the most treasured...The joy you feel when you give and receive a surprise! Don't worry...I will let you know what it ends up being this year!

No comments: